jmk

Just starting the wings on my 8 and would like to know if I can drill the screw holes for the tank attach platenut screws to #19 then countersink w/ a #19 countersink that came w/ my tool set from Cleaveland Tools. The Manual says to use a #30 countersink and it would center itself well enough but I think the #19 would do a better job.

jmk
empennage complete

Tank Plate Nut Issue

I just posted the same question two days ago on the RV-9 forum and got great responses. I had essentially the same question. I just complete counter sinking th #8 screw holes by first riveting the plate-nuts in place and using a #30 counter sink with the plate-nuts as guides. It work flawlessly. In one of the responses was a copy of an article covering this from RVAtor.

Start on the bottom

I did it the checkoway method, which seems to have worked fine, but it did take a lot more effort. At some point, I had to do it the way the manual says, I forget why. It chattered horribly at first, which really scared me, but then cleaned right up as the CS bit hit the threaded part of the nutplate. If I had it to do over again, I would do it as the manual says.

Also, start on the bottom, as this area will NOT be normally visible. Any errors there will not be as evident as errors on top.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I used the # 19 cs and it worked ok but I think I'll try the other methods to see which works best for me. BTW, I did start on the bottom.

jmk
rv8 - wings started
Able to build faster than I can afford.