claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I'm finishing up a set of RV8 tanks. As far as I can tell, all that remains is to seal and rivet the baffle. All other seams and rivets seem well sealed. This kit was begin in 2002, not sure exactly when the tanks were done, but could there be an issue putting new sealant over or alongside older sealant? The instructions are very clear on cleaning metal surfaces before sealing, how do I clean or prepare existing sealant to bond with a new application?

I'd guess that the sealer used so far was Proseal, the product now listed in Van's catalog is called "Flame Master"; that's what I was planning on using to finish the job. Are these two products compatible? Any issues about laying another layer of this new sealant over the existing seams?

This kit was begin in 2002, not sure exactly when the tanks were done, but could there be an issue putting new sealant over or alongside older sealant? The instructions are very clear on cleaning metal surfaces before sealing, how do I clean or prepare existing sealant to bond with a new application?

Apparently nothing special.

From Flamemaster's Application Guide document:

Accomplish repair of undersized fillets after the expiration of the application time of the existing sealant as follows:
a) Clean the sealant and surrounding.
b) Apply additional sealant and fair onto existing sealant per in such a manner that the prescribed configuration is produced.