BruceMe

Well Known Member
I have an RV-6 "fix-r-up-r". The left fuel tank was crunched by the landing gear during a flip over.

Click here for picture of damaged tank

I'm just asking about the tank here... I see three options:

1 - Completely rebuild a new tank with mostly new everything
2 - Salvage the major bits and bobs but new aluminum
3 - Pull it all apart carefully just replace the damaged skin and ribs and reseal

If someone has done this before, let me know which is how they went?

Thanks!

I have an RV-6 "fix-r-up-r". The left fuel tank was crunched by the landing gear during a flip over.
Click here for picture of damaged tank
I'm just asking about the tank here... I see three options:
1 - Completely rebuild a new tank with mostly new everything
2 - Salvage the major bits and bobs but new aluminum
3 - Pull it all apart carefully just replace the damaged skin and ribs and reseal
If someone has done this before, let me know which is how they went?
Thanks!

I would suggest a combination of 1 & 2.
3 would be a lot of work and wouldn't really buy you all that much. Disassembling a tank assembled with pro-seal would be horrendous.

I would suggest a combination of 1 & 2.
3 would be a lot of work and wouldn't really buy you all that much. Disassembling a tank assembled with pro-seal would be horrendous.

You probably mean just option 2, but yeah, I was headed there too. Pro-seal is so awful. Wondering if anyone else had done it.

Tank repair

My RV9 QB tank was nearly perforated by mouse pee corrosion prior to even getting the wings out of the crate! Looked at the options which, as a fuel tank were very few and required inspector approval, I felt there was no option than to make a new tank. An expensive mouse infestation!!!
With regards to salvaging parts I weighed up the time/ effort of removing the parts from the Proseal without damage wasn't worth the effort so I bit the bullet and ordered new parts

hard, not impossible

I had to take the cover off my tank to re-attach the fuel pickup (and wire-tie).

It was hard, and took a little coaxing, but it did come lose. I think I'm going to try dissembling. If it proves too hideous and I chuck the alum-epoxy mess the entire length of the man cave in a fit of obscenities, I'll buy the parts and breath deeply.

I had to take the cover off my tank to re-attach the fuel pickup (and wire-tie).
It was hard, and took a little coaxing, but it did come lose. I think I'm going to try dissembling. If it proves too hideous and I chuck the alum-epoxy mess the entire length of the man cave in a fit of obscenities, I'll buy the parts and breath deeply.

Removing the cover is not quite like disassembling the ribs with curves and dimples. Trying is certainly not a bad thing, but I don't think you will get far before changing your mind.
If you do; Good On You. Time consuming but certainly not prohibitive.

I purchased the glue desolver compound and a new tank. I'll try disassembling it first, if get's too unfun, I'll just build the new one.

I'd order the parts and build a new tank. OTOH, I really enjoyed building my fuel tanks. It was messy; but not particularly hard.

I'd salvage a few parts from the old tank like the filler ring and access panels etc.