8PK

I'm getting ready to start riveting my tanks. I have looked at other peoples build logs and noticed that some people have pro sealed and clecoed the tank ribs in place and let the pro seal set then installed all of the rivets instead of pro sealing and riveting at the same time. Is this a better way to complete the tanks. Seem like it would be less messy.

Yes! Let it tack up for a day, then come back and rivet. It is still gooey enough to set up and give a good seal between parts.

There is a bunch of other threads on this. I wrote up my experiences here. Search away and you shall find the knowledge you seek.

Last edited:
I followed Rick6a's method and it worked great. I'm reluctant to deviate from Van's instructions but did for the tanks and would do again. No leaks and an A+ from my TC.

One thing that was a big help was a Semco sealant gun. Model 250-B (-B is the paddle trigger and -A is the pistol grip). Like most tasks on the airplane, the basic tools as recommended by Van's get the job done but I wouldn't do another tank without my Semco and would buy another if it broke!

IMG_0439.JPG

Tank Questions

Thanks Bruce I will try your method. I hope mine turn out as good as yours did.
Paul:)

Rick's Method

is a really good way to do it. For one thing, it's a lot less stressful separating the sealing and riveting tasks. It's also easier to keep your tools clean and everything else neater. Depending on the temperature you may have to wait more than one day (I waited 3 with temps in the 50ies). A sealant gun is very useful. I got mine on ebay for 35 bucks. It's really a no brainer with this technique... you'll be fine.