N411DG

OK good news I found two leaks in my right fuel tank. Good because one is on the inboard z bracket (can be reached through the access panel) and the other is at a rivet at the tank side of the fuel cap. My question is... is there any prep that needs to be completed prior to reaching in and adding more proseal at the offending rivets? I purchased a wing kit that was partialy completed so this should be a very easy fix. Thanks

Dave

Dave, I had a leak on the same Z bracket.

After talking to Van's, I followed their suggestion of removing all the proseal from the outside of the time around the Z-bracket. When I removed the proseal covering the rivets, one of them came off with the proseal.

I just finished up cleaning as much proseal off as I could, mixed up more and popped a new rivet with lots of proseal on it. Then I used the rest of the ounce that I had mix to cover the Z-bracket and rivets from the outside.

No leaks yet. Good luck.

Kent

Thanks Kent,

Just what I was looking for, it is also good to hear that you have no leaks with 2 years of flying. What are the odds of a tank leaking in the future once eveything checks out good during the build?

Dave

It happens...

I didn't have any leaks for the first two years, but it started a slow weep about 1 year ago. I just finally got around to fixing it.

My guess is that the rivet gave way at some point or maybe it broke when I set it, but the proseal kept it together for two year.

Kent

Fellas,
I have one tank that must be weeping a bit, because I can see it on the paint below the wing. It never leaves a puddle in the hangar, (no floor drips) and I don't notice any missing after the plane sits. It is more evident after I fill up the tank and don't fly it empty. (seems like the leak might be toward the top of the tank, or the weight of more fuel makes it weep more) Typically, I only carry the fuel I will use, and the tank sits almost empty normally.
My question is, at what point MUST it be fixed? Is the current situation acceptable? or even wise?

Suggestions? Wisdom?

Dennis

On the bright side you are flying and I am still building! I would add it to my winter to do list if it is only weeping and keep an eye on it for any changes.

Dave

Dennis, it sounds just like mine.

I noticed the 'blue' about one year ago. I could not see any leaking stain when I looked at the root of the tank (remove the intersection fairing).
When I looked through the wing inspection hole next to the root, I could see some 'blue' around the Z-bracket bolts.

Anyway no dripping on the floor, but a decided to fix it last month. I didn't turn out to be that bad of a job. I bought a small air ratchet at HF and that helped, but my box-end wrench ratchet build in was also useful.

I cut the paint with a razor, but should have used a screw paint cutter. Still it looks OK, but I may do a little touch on the screws that were removed.

Kent

Thanks Kent,
I'll add it to the winter project list. Along with figuring out which direction I want to go concerning adding more fuel capacity...
I wish the four carried twice as much gas!...

DM
BTW,
I noticed your from Canby. Got my ticket at Troutdale, and learned tailwheeels from Wally over at Vancouver/Evergreen... Small world...