SquawkVFR

I just bought this plane. There is a mechanical constraint that caused a failure of the seal between T-708 (tank access plate) and T-703 (inboard rib). The plans in drawing 16A call for a cork gasket between these two surfaces, but no PN or material specificaiton is called out. I ordered a new T-708, and I'm hoping it includes the gasket. I also ordered MC-236-B2 just in case. Some have suggested using Form-A-Gasket #2.

I drained the tank, so I'm ready to begin the repair process.

I have two questions:
  1. How would you repair the leak?
  2. How would you resolve the mechanical constraint, so the seal doesn't break again after this repair?
Suggestions I've been offered so far:
  • Pull vacuum on the tank fill port and dose a bead of locktite around the perimeter of the access plate to stop the leak. Add elbows to the straight fittings and span a segment of steel braided fuel line between the two fittings.
  • Remove, clean, and re-seal the access plate. Add a loop of 3/8 soft aluminum fuel line between the existing fittings.
  • Remove the fuselage fitting and replace with grommet. Remove segment of fuel line between fuselage and fuel tank selector. Remove, clean, and re-seal the access plate. Run a new fuel line per the build plans.
Pics:

IMG_9259.JPG
IMG_9266.JPG