pilot28906

Well Known Member
I thought I read somewhere that it was a good idea to use the tank dimple dies on the wing ribs and the normal dies on the skin. Is anyone doing this and is it a good idea?

Thanks,

I just finished mine and used the regular #40 dies. Any reason in particular why they would be better??
-david

yup

yes the idea is the skin dimple nests into the rib dimple a little better. I tried it and didn't see that much difference. But if you have the dies then what the heck. I did find it helps if you have three layers of dimples such as on the skin overlap areas.

I played around with this theory on scraps pieces. Can't really see any difference. The tank dies are mere thousandths deeper. Once the rivet gets mashed in there you can't tell which skin had the deeper dimple.
The tank dies do work great for holding a little bit of sealant, so I would recommend them for the tanks.

I used tank dies

...for all of the wing structure. Used regular dies for the skins. The wings came out nice, but I used regular dies for everything on the empennage and I can't see any difference between the two.

Would I use the tank dies for the structure if I did it again? Probably, but I'm just barely on the side of using them.

I second Bruce's opinion...they work well for the tanks.

I used the tank dimple dies on the tanks and will use them on the wing stucture as well since I have them. Thanks for the input.