RV8A444DW

I'm New Here
First time on this forum, first post. I'm building an 8A and in the process of construction the left fuel tank. I've done all the match drilling and dimpleing with the CFrame on the skin and squezzer on the ribs. When I dry fit the ribs to the skin the dimples don't pull up tight. There is about 1/16" gap between the skin and the rib. Called Vans and they said put it aside and start on the leading edge to determine if when riveted the skin and rib will pull up. Didn't like that help so I'm turning to those who may have seen this problem and can help. Any help here is greatly appreciated. Regards Tom Webber

I would concur with Van's advice. I'm not sure why they have tanks before leading edges in the manual, but IMO you should do the leading edges first to get an idea of where any problem areas might be. I think if you do, you'll find that things will snug up fine, especially if your cradles are properly made to fit the profile of the ribs. Sometimes putting the cradles closer to the rib being riveted helps as well. Good luck.

I had small gaps like you're talking about also, but after I finished riveting the leading edge and the tank everything fit really well. The gaps are very small and not noticeable. All I can say, it is Van's magic.

To keep the skin and ribs pressed together in the jig I made a wooden plate out of 2x6s" the length of the tank that I could tighen down with ratching cargo straps. This forced the ribs more anterior and allowed the holes to match.