compren

I dunno why this particular part is giving me such a problem. I?ve screwed one up already because I kept fiddling with it. This is the T-705 tank attach bracket that needs to be fabricated. I?ve included several pictures here. A couple of things give me worry:

-I fabricated the bracket to fit in the leading edge rib just fine, but by my count there are 4 rivets that I won?t be able to buck due to the bracket being in the way. Do I cut notches where those rivets are for a blind rivet (seems to me those would be some pretty big notches), or can the bracket be situated up a little higher to make room (as in pic 3)?

-I guess I just don?t understand the plans for the other side of the bracket. What is ?R1? mean? Is that a 1? radius? The + on the bracket, how far up from the bottom of the flange is that (I guess if R1 means 1? radius, it would be 1? down from the top). I guess there isn?t enough measurement here to make me happy. Whats with the bottom of that bracket? Why is there an inside radius?

I really feel stupid now as I just noticed the ?half scale? in big lettering. I guess I should have plotted some marks on my bracket after measuring the plans. After all the cutting and polishing, my brackets came out like so (see pic 4). My bracket is an 1/8? under 3 3/4?, do you think this will suffice?

I?m sending this same post to VANS in the morning, but I?m really into the whole immediate gratification (or immediate disgust if it turns out screwed up another one), so I posted here first.

T405

It looks fine to me. Yes R1 is 1" radius. The third pic is about where it will be when installed. It is very close to the shop heads of the rib rivets.
The T405 bracket does not got on until the inboard rib is installed. The four rivets you mention will already be driven. It's in the plans or manual.
There are a couple issues to watch though. If you are going with a flop tube, be very mindful of edge spacing on the rivet holes and the big fuel fitting hole. And make sure you space everything so the fuel fitting nut can rotate and clear the shop heads.
Good work. Build on.

Last edited:
I think I built that part 4 times before I got it right, it's just part of the learning curve.

-I fabricated the bracket to fit in the leading edge rib just fine, but by my count there are 4 rivets that I won’t be able to buck due to the bracket being in the way. Do I cut notches where those rivets are for a blind rivet (seems to me those would be some pretty big notches), or can the bracket be situated up a little higher to make room (as in pic 3)?...

You set at least the first few skin to rib rivets at the nose of the tank before you install the bracket. Notch the bracket as necessary to fit around the shop heads of the skin to rib rivets. The notches only have to be deep enough to clear the already set shop heads. I cut the notches with the rounded corner of my scotchbrite wheel.