RV8R999

Well Known Member
The plans direct placing the part into a vice and whacking with a "big hammer" to help contour to the side of the fuselage...

Seriously? That is a pretty big hunk of aluminum over a short length that is reinforced by the bracket web...is a sledge hammer big enough?

I dont even want to try this as I'm sure I'll take the vice off my bench on the first whack.

How about relieving the center of the bracket base with a drum sander as the contour is very slight (maybe 1/8" at the center)? The pads where the bolts mount through the fuse would largely be unaffected (I think)???

Thoughts...

Ken

The big hammer approach stinks but has worked for over 6,000 builders.

Go ahead and give it a try. Work out some frustrations!

Don't worry...

...it works. Thousands have done it before. The aluminum isn't that strong and the angle needed isn't that much. Clamp the tongue that mates with the tank in the vice and gently tap up with a hammer and a length of 2x4 on the side that mates with the fuselage. That's the one that you want to stay flatest. Most of the bend occurs near the fillet on the side clamped in the vice.

Good luck :)

Jim Sharkey

I dont even want to try this as I'm sure I'll take the vice off my bench on the first whack.

You obviously need a more "manly" vice....or work bench!;):p

Seriously, the bigger hammer approach works fine. We used to have to put the "joggle" in the alternator to starter bracket the same way....

You just have to get medieval with the big dead blow hammer. LOL Once you hit it the first time, you know what you need to do.

ok, ok, you guys were right. It was simple as pie. I should have actually made the part and trial fitted before doubting the process since it was much clearer once I had a part in hand...and it only took one whack. And no I don't need a more manly vice!

Thanks!

Ken