KMinor

I used tank dimple dies on my tail kit for all the substructure pieces, and regular spring back dies for the skins. I recently ordered the new Cleaveland substructure dimple dies. I'm assuming I can use these new dies on my fuel tank substructure and the tank dies on the skins. Any reason not to?

dies

I used tank dimple dies on my tail kit for all the substructure pieces, and regular spring back dies for the skins. I recently ordered the new Cleaveland substructure dimple dies. I'm assuming I can use these new dies on my fuel tank substructure and the tank dies on the skins. Any reason not to?

I can't think of a reason not to but I'm no engineer.
I used them as you describe and was pleased with the result.

Edit
There is an issue to be aware of. Try making some samples. The substructure dies enlarge the hole a tiny bit and clecos sometimes pop out or don't grab very well. I read where one builder match drilled to #41 for that reason. I read it too late so I had to use nuts on the back side for a tight fit. They squeezed much tighter that way. I actually bought 300 4-40 nuts and drilled them #40. I used them for every cleco on the tanks. Check out my blog/log tank page.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I've only drilled the top side of the left tank. I'll stop here for now. I ordered a #41 reamer and some drill bits. I'll wait on those before drilling the rest. Thanks again!