apatti

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I am working on my fuel tanks. I understand that most people don't trust the cork gasket between the access plate and the root rib. Are most of you prosealing the access plate on? Are you using both the gasket and proseal? Or just the proseal?
Would it be adviseable to just use the cork gasket until leak testing is complete?
How about gasket around the float type sender on the access plate? OK by itself? Or add proseal?

Thanks,

I used the cork gasket applying proseal to both sides. For the sender, I used just proseal. I also dipped all the screws in proseal and covered them up with proseal once installed. No leaks in two years.

Roberta

I think it works several ways...

I went with no gaskets under either the access plate or the fuel sender. I didn't like how the fuel sender gasket squished out when I tightened things up, so I got rid of them. I also used proseal on each screw, as Roberta suggested. So pro-seal all around!

Paul

I agree with Paul. I've worked on a lot of RV tanks. I've seen several leaks with the cork gaskets. Never seen a leak with just pro-seal. If you have to take it off, it's not that difficult. Just start around the perimeter with a putty knife.
Mel...DAR

pro seal and putty knife

Mel,
You make it sound easy!
I've been there and it wasn't / isn't easy for me.
Do you have a trick to using the putty knife or something?
I thought the whole idea about putting proseal on both side of the gasket was to give you a place to get a knife in to seperate the two and then clean them up. I have tried a little solvent and a knife, but couldn't make any headway. Did I not try hard enough? The ribs aren't that thick and I hated to ruin it.
Bob Martin
RV-6
Louisa, VA

Do yourself a big favor and put some SS Allen Head cap screws in the senders. If you ever have to take them out it's much easier to turn them using an allen wrench.
Ask me how I know!!!!!!

Tom Emery
RV-6A N193RV

gaskets

FYI
I used paper gasket material on tank plate and stock cork gaskets on sender unit with non hardening gasket maker on gasket to tank surfaces and screws.
Slight weep in left tank after 10 years from cork sender gasket. Stainless hex screws a must.
Been there
Tom
RV3 2000+hours :)

access plate

I stupidly went with the cork gasket with no proseal. started leaking after a couple of weeks through the screws. I then removed the regular nutplates and replaced them with domed nutplates and sealed the gasket with permatex "aviation" gasket sealer. I'm not sure if this setup will be any easier to disassemble than proseal but so far i haven't had to find out. No leaks!

By the way, all my tank leak problems have been due to senders and access plates. They have all leaked at one point or another. glad i didn't paint it first!

Doug Meloche

Having lived with proseal and wing tanks for 20+ years with my BD4, I know the love/hate relationship we have with the stuff.

As far as trying to unseal the stuff, I have had some luck with the putty knife method. I have used MEK with limited success (MEK is very dangerous to health). But the best way I found for some situations is a careful use of heat. The stuff really lets go at the right temp.

Unfortunately, heat won't work too well with the fuel sender. I did get some literature at OSH two years ago on some release agent that was developed for the military. Supposedly, they use this to fix tank and access plate proseal problems. They claimed that one could apply the material and it would eat thru a proseal seal overnite...

I have since lost the brochure, so maybe someone else has a lead?

Deene

Never heard of it! At U/A they give you alot of plastic scrapers. Im using dome nuts were the nut plates are going. nothing on the screws. That way they come out slick as a whistle

Part number for SS Allen Head cap screws

tomsrv said:
Do yourself a big favor and put some SS Allen Head cap screws in the senders. If you ever have to take them out it's much easier to turn them using an allen wrench.
Ask me how I know!!!!!!

Do you know the part number for the SS Allen head cap screws? I searched A/S's website and didn't see what I needed.

Thanks,