Tom Martin

Well Known Member
Yesterday my clearance included a tango route. How does one enter that in a Garmin 430W?
My clearance was CYFJ TUKIR T614 YYZ YXU CYQS

Entered in Foreflight, it printed as it should. Entered in order on the Garmin 430W it told me that no waypoint T614 existed?

Any suggestions about the proper procedure here?

I worked it out by entering the individual route waypoints but there has to be a better way. As it turned out they did not let me go directly over Toronto but kept me north until I was mostly past the busy airspace.
Flight level was 10K over a broken sky.
Every IFR flight is a learning adventure!

Thanks

Tom Martin

Yesterday my clearance included a tango route. How does one enter that in a Garmin 430W?
My clearance was CYFJ TUKIR T614 YYZ YXU CYQS

Entered in Foreflight, it printed as it should. Entered in order on the Garmin 430W it told me that no waypoint T614 existed?

Any suggestions about the proper procedure here?

I worked it out by entering the individual route waypoints but there has to be a better way. As it turned out they did not let me go directly over Toronto but kept me north until I was mostly past the busy airspace.
Flight level was 10K over a broken sky.
Every IFR flight is a learning adventure!

Thanks

Tom Martin

T614 is an airway and the 430/530w will not accept airway routings. It has to be done by individual waypoints.

This is no different than Victor airways - the GNS430 doesn't know which navaids make up the airway, so you must manually enter all the relevant points. There is no cheap solution to this. The expensive solution is to install a more modern GPS that knows about airways, such as a GTN650 or a GNS480.

Thanks guys, not the answer I wanted, but at least it is a definite answer!
Using the iPad you can quickly add all the waypoints as they appear in the route and then use that model to enter the waypoints in the 430.
Would it not be wonderful if the iPad could connect to the 430!!

Tom Martin

Thanks goodness for Foreflight

Things like this continue to show me the value of my foreflight subscription on my little ipad mini. Over and over again, I am just blown away by how powerful this little tool is.

For example, sitting in Hilton head on Sunday afternoon relaxing in a rocking chair, my wife says I hear some thunder, maybe we better head for the airport. I say, let me pull out my ipad and file a flight plan. Check the weather, move some points around to avoid the storm, file and head for the plane.

Cool, very cool.