22Tango

I'm New Here
ALL:

I'm a newbie just getting started - buying tools and cleaning the garage to make room for an RV-9A -- and I have a question about the the TANDEM CP214 rivet squeezers.

I've seen used versions of the single cylinder rivet squeezer models for sale here, on ebay, etc. But recently I've seen some bona-fide Chicago Pneumatic CP214 rivet squeezers (had the mfr's plate on it) which were tandem. Looking at new product (Brown Tool,etc), the tandem squeezers are rated at double the force (6000# versus 3000#) of the single cylinders. Not sure about the tandem CP214s being sold used, but they look exactly the same -- so I assume they're probably 6000# versions as well.

MY QUESTION: Is it a "bad thing" to use a tandem riveter instead of a single cylinder model. Because of it's higher capacity, would I have issues controlling the way it exerts force and over-squeeze rivets (or do something else?).

Thanks for your input!

Kevin
(N4822T reserved)

No, you could use one but I think (from pics I've seen) that they are longer and heavier than the single units.

You won't oversqueeze because the squeeze length is adjustable. Once it hits its stop that's it - it doesn't go any further.

If it's much heaver than a CP214 I wouldn't buy one unless it was a real good deal. The CP214 is heavy enough as it is.

tandem pneumatic squeezers

i bought one (off ebay) -- got a tandem with a 3" yoke, adjustable set holder, and a bunch of sets -- cupped and flat (no dimple dies) from toolsez for about $260 2 years ago when i first started building. i'm very happy with it. yes, it's heavy, but didn't you want to get arms like popeye on this project? ;)

i haven't seen the problem that everybody talks about when squeezing a -4 rivet you have to make sure you're in the last bit of the travel -- doesn't seem to be an issue with the tandem unit. before i got my longeron yoke, i used to simulate one by putting a 3/4" long flat set in the top and my shortest cupped set in the set holder and screwing it in until the gap was correct. seemed to work fine.

actually, when i bought mine, i didn't even realize that there was a different between the single/tandem units until after i had received mine. i think the only disadvantage is the weight.

Sounds OK to me then. I can see where the weight could be a little more tiring. But I suspect that most of the time, I won't have real long sessions in the shop. Think I'll just keep an eye on the price and if it's reasonable, go for it.

One other thing: there were a few tandem CP214s offered on ebay --
one with a 2" deep x 1-3/4" wide yoke
one with a 3" deep x 2-1/2" wide yoke
one with a 4" deep x 1-1/2" wide yoke

and an APT squeezer with 1-3/4" deep x 1-1/4" wide yoke.

I'm inclined toward the unit with the 3" deep yoke, but I noticed it has a post in the yoke. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I presume it can be removed. But what was the point in the first place?

johnp said:
[...]it's heavy, but didn't you want to get arms like popeye on this project? ;)
Hopefully you are using both arms when holding it... otherwise you plane can be out of balance. :D