pokey

I have a short gear rv4 that I am considering converting to the tall gear. Any thoughts on the conversion process? Does vans have a conversion protocol (process). Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Bill

Hi Bill,
I build those mounts for Van?s and I do have one idea. The main problem besides building new fairings and brake lines is the fact that the center two attach points on your old mount are in a different location then on the new mount. I have not yet altered a new mount to match anyone?s old mount but I have been asked about doing this several times.

You would buy the mount and legs from Van?s, I would pick up the mount, make the changes and send it on to you, I would also need the old mount to verify its dimensions.

I don?t think it?s too complicated, if you?re interested in that service drop me a note.

Why?

I can think of only three reason for going to long gear.

1) You have damaged your gear or engine mount beyond repair.
2) You are changing engine mount styles to Dynafocal or visa-versa.
3) You have or are converting to a 72" CS prop vs. a 68 ".

I converted to longer gear because I had a CS prop. I found two downsides to long gear. 1) The plane was a little harder to land smoothly. 2) Visibility while taxiing was diminished. Also My cuffs from gear leg to fuselage didn't fit the same. If you don't have any of these situations then I wouldn't consider the long gear legs an improvement. You cannot put long gear legs in your original engine mount, because they each have different geometry.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"