Stephen Lindberg

Well Known Member
I have just repaired or replaced three broken headsets: Lightspeed 20xl, DC H10-40, and a Pilot PA-11. They have all been satisfactory. The Pilot was a cheapy that I bought on the road twelve years ago because I suddenly needed another headset. It actually compared pretty well to my expensive DC set, just not as well made. The Lightspeed is my current headset and it is comfortable, albeit somewhat bulky. I was leery of the plastic construction but it has held up well over seven years. Of course, I am the only user, it stays in my airplane, and I am careful with it. Now I come to the point. Lightspeed sent me a new cord postpaid. They also sent new earmuffs, all without charge to me. It took me ten minutes to install the cord and earmuffs. This is astonishingly good customer service. David Clark is fixing my 23 year old headset -installing a new cord- for $78. They would not sell me a cord outright. Pilot offered to fix my old headset for $70 plus shipping, or trade it in for $50 against a new headset. They would not sell me a new cord outright. I elected to buy their top passive unit on trade. I offer this as information to those thinking of buying a headset. I have no compaints about DC's or Pilot's service other than the expense of installing a new cord, and the inconvenience and expense of shipping my headset to the factory for repair. All of us are capable of replacing a cord and it would be better if headsets were designed with cords easily replacable by the user, since the cord seems to be the weak link. Lightspeed deserves kudos for their superior customer service. They sure have my loyalty. Steve

Three headsets

That's odd about the David Clarks. I don't believe I've ever seen a DC that wasn't still under warranty. Let us know if they actually take your money. You will probably not recognize any part of your headset when you get it back, except maybe the green earcups!

I've had lots of broken headsets and never had DC take any of my money. Same goes for lightspeed (they broke most often). Both have good service if you ask me.

The David Clamps came back better than new even after I mutilated them by trying a do-it-yurself ANC modification.

rd

I sent my DC set in and it came back looking better than ever at no charge. I was pleasantly surprised.

My experience with Lightspeed has been similar to others: They break a lot, but the customer service is outstanding. :)

I'm using a Bose pair now, and the construction quality seems similar to Lightspeed - lots of plastic parts. Anyone know how well they hold up and what the customer service is like...?

cheers,
mcb

David Clark

A little story about the David Clark Company.

I have a friend who's father was an O-2 Birddog pilot in Vietnam. The dad had given his son his old, grey, military USAF marked David Clark headset that he used to wear flying the O-2. A few years ago, my friend called DC about possibly getting the old headset refurbished, which would include converting it from military radio impedance to be able to use it with civilian radios. When he asked how much it would cost, the DC guy said, "Isn't it under warranty?" My friend thought the guy didn't understand him and explained again that it was a very old, military headset that Uncle Sam had bought and written-off decades ago. The DC guy said "Are you sure it isn't under warranty? Why not send it to use and we can determine if it is still covered."
My friend sent them the old headset in and about a week later, a completely rebuilt, beautiful headset was returned to him with a simple tag that read, "Repaired under warranty".

I purchased one of the first H10-40's when they came out and those first electret mics didn't seem to hold up too well. Mine crapped out after a few years and after I tried to cut the old mic open to see if I could fix it, I finally threw it in my junk box and bought a new H10-40.
After another few years, the "new" headset developed some problems, so I decided to send it back to Clark to see how much they would charge me to fix it. Just for the heck of it, I threw the original headset (minus the butchered mic!) in with it to see what they would charge to maybe put the cheaper H10-30 mic on it and get it working again. In about two weeks, a box from Clark showed-up with two new-looking headsets in it, and as far as I could tell, everything on both of them was new except maybe the green earcups! The original headset was returned with a new electric mic and it even had a volume control on the earcup, that the original didn't even come with! Both had tags: "Repaired under warranty".

There are still companies that have these buisness ethics and I have told people for years that if you buy a Clark, you might pay a little more for it but you only do it once!

FWIW, if you don't like the clamping force of the David Clark headset, just call them and they will send you a band that's designed for larger heads with less clamping force. Free.

Last edited: