flybye

Well Known Member
I'm buying a 9A with completed Emp, Fuselage and wings. (Slow build). Any advise as to what to check for workmanship problems? I've no RV construction experience though I've an engineering background and I'm reasonably familiar with the construction process. I'd like to move the project along for early completion but want to be sure that I'm not building on to anything that should have been corrected. I reviewed the page on Van's web site. Any other thoughts?

I'm buying a 9A with completed Emp, Fuselage and wings. (Slow build). Any advise as to what to check for workmanship problems? I've no RV construction experience though I've an engineering background and I'm reasonably familiar with the construction process. I'd like to move the project along for early completion but want to be sure that I'm not building on to anything that should have been corrected. I reviewed the page on Van's web site. Any other thoughts?

Congratulations on your new project!

If you are a member of the EAA, use their web site to find a nearby EAA Technical Counselor who can drop by your shop and take a look at the project. He will be able to quickly assess the quality of construction and also answer questions. In addition to this, make connections with local RVers who will no doubt be eager to take a look and point you in the right direction. Check the White Pages on the VAF main page and also Vans' list of builders.

There really is no substitute for having experienced eyes in the shop. Someone who has built an RV can quickly let you know if you should have any reason for concern with the workmanship. The associations you make will prove invaluable as the project progresses and add a great deal to your enjoyment of the process. It really is about the great people we meet along the way. :)

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Tech Counselor Insufficient - Get an RV Builder!

I was in your shoes with my project. I had a Tech Counselor look at it prior to purchase. He was well qualified, but this was the first RV he had seen. He did not spend nearly enough time going over it, as I found several significant problems after purchase that needed to be corrected. Not showstoppers, but well over 100 hrs of rework. These were things that could have and should have been identified during the pre-purchase inspection. Some things that may need to be corrected could be so difficult or expensive that you would not want to buy the project, so now is the time to identify them!

Each RV has its share of nuances and problem areas that require the builder to get creative and to use non-documented techniques. (Non-documented by Vans, several builders have excellent websites documenting how they solved these problems). The tip-up canopy is an example. Sometimes things just don't fit like the documentation says they should in certain areas.

Do yourself a favor and find a local builder (preferably who is also a Tech Counselor) who has completed the model you're considering. In addition to knowing and judging good workmanship, he will also be able to look critically at typical problem areas to see how well the builder tackled the known problem areas.

I would also ask the builder to show you all instances where he deviated from the plans, and make sure that you and your TC are satisified with the result. Of course if your Tech Counselor also built the same model you're considering, he will be able to pick these up quickly.

Just my $.02. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

I bought a partially completed -8 kit--the tech counselor visit is obviously very important to make sure the project has been done properly. The guy who sold me the kit was a good builder but didn't keep a real thorough log--if I could go back in time, I would have spent more time with him in his hangar walking me through what he had done, what was left to finish later, etc.

I didn't have any prior building experience and found a lot of value going line by line through the plans from page 1 to verify each step was done and to familiarize myself with the project, but I should have gotten a more thorough hand off from him too. I spent a few months just staring at the project getting comfortable with it before I dared to get near it with a tool.

Congrats to you and good luck.