Got2Fly

I just came across someone who has an RV-10 kit for sale, just started on it, and might consider picking up where they left off. Of course, I've already sent an inquiriy to Vans to find out how they handle such transfers, but would like to poll the group to see if anyone has experience with doing this, and what things I might run into. I am definitely wanting to get the repairmans certificate so want to make sure I don't have a problem with that either.

The tail is built, the wings are just getting started and are slow build.

Thoughts please.....

Ken

Ken, I am involved in this kind of project. I bought a -4 that was partially built. Would I do it again? Probably. Would it have been easier to buy a new kit? Probably. The organization and inventory of parts is much simpler buying from Vans. My project was old and I don't think I have all the parts that came with the project. My learing curve from not starting with the tail section has been much different. Thankfully I have a number of RV builders in my EAA chapter and on the field that have offered lots of help. They helped me get organized and started. My project came from a stepbrother and the price was very right. That was MY main deciding factor in buying this project. Hope this helps.

RVRC (Robert C.)
upside down canoe
RV-4
:D

taking over a build

If you can save money, get all the parts, and some of the work is already done, I'd say it is a good deal. You also don't have shipping costs or delays. Make sure the work that has been done is of decent quality. I'm sure you can find a builder in the area that can have a look with you. From what I hear, all you have to do is toss all the 10 parts into the garage, and they just fall together. :)

Van's seems to have no problem switching the builder number over to a new builder. Also, the 10 is so new, you're getting the current technology.

I bought my -9 wings from a builder last January. He installed the spar platenuts then quit the project and sold it to me 3 years later.
Van's asked he fax them a short note stating his wing kit number has been transferred to my builder number.
Steve

taking over a build

Hey,

I am actually the third owner of my project. The first owner built most the wings and tail group and lost his medical. This was his fourth Exp and his work was excellent the second owner built the fuse to a little under Q build stage. I had to do the canopy which I firmly believe qualifies for the 51%!!!!!

As far as transfer, this is easy. Van's has a form that is submitted and you take over the builder #.

I believe you can find some good projects out there for reasonable money. If it saves time and money I'd go for it. RV's are nice because you can do a real good inspection of most everything prior to building. Take along a repeat RVer and you'll be set.

Darwin N. Barrie
P19
Prop on, cowl next!!!

I did the same thing with an RV8 QB last fall. Here's some things, based on my experience that you may want to consider:
I made sure I go all of the parts and that the quality of the work was up to my standards or that I was willing to buy new parts and redo them.
VAN's transferred the builder number to me following an email from the seller to VANs. No problem.
I did find a few things that I wanted to change, so some of the previous builder's work had to be redone....my problem.
You may inherit dings and scratches, so be aware.
You may also get some benefit/bargain from a previous owner, such as tools, extra parts, etc. either as part of the price or sold separately.
If the owner registered the kit with the FAA, you will want to make sure that gets cancelled and a new put in your name. My kit was, even though it was barely started. If that wasn't done, no problem.
Make sure you have all of the plans and manuals.
If you are getting a finishing kit, make sure you have the appropriate motor mount based on your plans.

Good luck!

51%

My understanding is that the 51% rule has nothing to do with actually performing 51% of all of the work, i.e. driving 51% of the rivets. The FAA actually looks at the build by tasks. For example if you debur, flute, drill and rivet a wing rib, it doesn't matter if you do them all or just the 1, you are given credit for that part of the 51% of the tasks. This is how the QBs qualify for the 51% rule. Putting on the 1 finishing skins is considered the same as putting on all of the skins.

I am probably being too general in this explanation and others can comment in more detail. I don't know that there is a list of the tasks that the FAA considers in determining majority build but there must be one some where.

With that said, I don't see a problem in continuing with a kit that is at the stage you are talking about. There is plenty to do that should meet all of the requirments. Start a log as if you were starting from scratch and document your efforts accordingly and there shouldn't be an issue. Of course to be sure it may be a good idea to contact your nearest FSDO and ask them.

If the work done is of good quality, you are sure you will get all of the parts, the kit is of relatively recent vintage, and the price is right, I would sure go with it.

But on the other hand there is something satisfying about ordering and receiving a brand new kit and building everything from start to finish. Then you can truly say it is all yours rather than saying I built everything except the empenage! I think this is the reason I will probably go with a new slow build kit rather than buying a flying RV or even a quickbuild. There is just something that appeals to me about building the whole thing rather than flying a nice plane that someone else put together. I guess this could be taken to the extreme and by saying the only true builders are those who design there own plans and build from scratch, but I am not up to that task and draw the line between the slowbuild and quickbuilds. To each his/her own.

On the other - other hand, I am not one to pass up a good deal. I almost purchased a nearly completed RV7 but didn't pull the trigger quickly enough and lost the deal to another person more decisive then I. Value talks so you can't go wrong. If is right for you then go for it. I don't see any real technical risks.