jmbrwn

Well Known Member
We flew my Mom up on the airlines last Friday for a quick weekend visit. She was supposed to fly back Sunday. Well, the two flights to Monroe, La were canceled Sunday. I decided since today would be good wx, I'd just fly her home from Jackson, Tn. I checked, and the first flight to Monroe this morning was also canceled!?!?!

She was a little nervous as this was her first time in the RV.

TakingMamaHome3-29-2010001.jpg

It was kinda windy as we loaded up.

TakingMamaHome3-29-2010003.jpg

After we took off, things settled down for a smooth-as-glass flight at 8500'. She was amazed at the view out of the bubble canopy and wasn't claustrophobic as feared.

TakingMamaHome3-29-2010007.jpg

It was a beautiful flight down.

TakingMamaHome3-29-2010031.jpg

TakingMamaHome3-29-2010030.jpg

TakingMamaHome3-29-2010032.jpg

As we decended into her hometown of Rayville, La, we circled the house a few times before finally landing. The first thing she did was get on her cell phone to brag about what a wonderful flight she had. We then went to lunch where she said she couldn't wait 'til next time.

TakingMamaHome3-29-2010024.jpg

On the flight back to Tn, I was thankful for the time I was able to spend sharing the wonders of flight with my Mom. A tiring 7 hr drive turned out to be an enjoyable hour and half flight. What wonderful machines!!!:D

Good job!

And yep, it's official: Moms like RV's!

At least my Mom does... she lives in Denton, TX and I'm in Houston. I try to get up and see her at least once every month or two; so let's see, non-rev up in the back of a 737 or RJ with all the related hassles... nah. 5 hour drive? Nope. How about 1:20 in the RV? Yep, that'll do. Makes for an easy round trip lunch run. Once I even set her up in the back seat for a quick BBQ run up to Ardmore, OK. The Blue Pig BBQ is okay, not nearly as good as the Hard 8, but it sure was convenient that day and Mom quite liked it.

YEP!

My Mom is over 90 and she has never flown in any airplane unless I was PIC.
She Loves the -6.

RE:Wonderful

Hi Jim

Gorgeous Mom, beautiful plane, wonderful son........

A day you will both remember always. Thanks for starting my day with a smile.

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying

Last edited:
Not My Mom!

Mel wrote:

My Mom is over 90 and she has never flown in any airplane unless I was PIC.

My Mom has never offered advice more than to say, "I'm sure you'll do the right thing." She took 15 minutes to tell me why building would be a bad idea. But, then she said "Your father would have started one the day he thought he could do it."

I didn't tell her I was taking flying lessons all those years ago until after I soloed. She's still not happy about it. :(

I haven't told her I'm going to build. ;)

Mel, I'm jealous!

Mom up for first time.

Took my 82 year young Mom up last summer for her first ride. She was very apprehensive about it and it took several years to get her to agree to it but now she tells everyone what a great pilot I am :eek:

Way to go Mom!

The first time I took my 80 year old Mom up for a ride I asked her if she was worried about flying with me. She just calmly said nope! If something happened and you crashed the airplane I wouldn't want to be left behind. Let's go!!! She loved it! Mom's are like that, yeah they are.

Mom

Great read. My 80 year old mother is waiting for her ride too. She has flown many times over the years in our Bonanza, but never in my RV7.