RV7Guy

Well Known Member
This past weekend I flew to Sacremento CA from Chandler AZ (P19) to attend a RC soaring contest. I planned my route for the usual venture to the Central Valley of California. This involves flying direct to Palmdale CA, Amont intersection, then direct to anywhere in central CA. This is the usual route, not very picturesque and honestly quite boring. A real direct route is not possible because of the Restricted area of Edwards AFB.

Well, on Thursday, because of the lousy weather in FL the Space Shuttle would likely have to recover at Edwards. Of course, I've got my GPS's both programmed, Sectionals marked up, 12 hour weather briefing etc.. so I was not looking forward to the prospect of replanning.

At 2000 I checked and there was no TFR in effect. Maybe I was going to luck out. Go out to the hangar (outside the kitchen door :p ) to do another check over of the trusty 7 before bed. Everything good. Ah, I'm going to get to bed early for once.

Another check of the Forums then EAA Flight Planner. Argggh the TFR is there. My route is cutoff. I'M GOING one way or another, so out come the Sectionals again. I plan for a Northwest route along the Valley west of Vegas toward Reno. There are many active MOA's along the CA/Nev border, so planning is key. My route takes me North to a point North of an active MOA.

I was already planning to fly at 14500 and use my newly acquired O2 system so the new route would be perfect for that and possibly more. Just North of the MOA I planned for a route directly over Bishop CA and then over the Sierra's then direct into the Sac area.

All planned out, I plugged everything into the EAA Flight Planner. Much to my surprise the route was slightly less miles than the 'usual' route. "Okay, maybe it won't be too bad afterall."

Up at 0500 to go. One last check and the TFR was still there. Current weather briefing and I'm off at 0600. Phx Approach cleared me unrestricted through the Class B to 14 five. 19 minutes later I'm at 14 five, on O2 and leaned to 6 gph. Ground speed is 168 kts. Soon, Lake Havasu is off to my left, Laughlin to the right. Another 20 minutes and I cross I15 with Vegas in view to the North. I do another LOP and get to 5.8gph. It is quite hazy in the Vegas area with the buildings not specifically identifiable.

Admitedly, the scenery is not very exciting to me. I guess if you're not from here it would be. Much like those from AZ getting excited about big grass lawns and large canopy trees.

I get to my turn point and head over the first range toward Bishop. These mountains are not too big at around 10000 ft. The flight is very smooth. The 496 is showing a crosswind from the south at about 10 kts. Over Bishop toward the BAM's (Big Arse Mountains). The Sierra's are beautiful but a little intimidating. I alter the course to the North about 5 miles to avoid a 13800 peak. Just for safety I climb up to 15800. Another LOP and I'm at 5.4 gph and doing 169 kts across the ground.

I forgot my camera :mad: The Sierra's still have some snow on the highest peaks. Among the peaks and valleys of the mountains there are hundreds of small lakes and ponds formed with the runoff from the snowcap. The color of the lakes and ponds nearly defies description. The color is between teal and blue and the water is crystal clear. The treelined valleys show more of the beauty of the Sierra's. As I crest the peaks, I notice a lake in a lower valley with a lone boat on the water. Probably reeling in some trout. I'm thinking, "I can fly models anytime, fishing sounds better."

I dial in a descent of 300 fpm for the 90 miles into Davis University airport. At 180 kts of GS I'm there in 30 minutes. I overfly the model contest site on way to signal my ride to come pick me up. Upon arrival at Davis I had 17.2 gallons remaining. Flight time was 3:45 minutes. Nine frequency changes for Flight Following were logged.

On Sunday I departed at 1500. The first thing I noticed was a huge fire to the Northeast. Not until I got home did I learn that the fire is the devastating Lake Tahoe fire. Much of the same type of scenery that I had flown over was now being destroyed. Houses, lives and dreams are now gone for those affected. What a shame.

I head home the "usual way." I'm returning at 11500 and again using Flight Following. Around Palmdale is another large fire in the mountains. A few miles earlier another pilot asked if there was a TFR for the fire. They reported none because the activity had reduced. I flew over the south edge of the fire and could see the tankers doing drops. A very cool site from several thousand feet above them.

Now one of the best parts of the return trip. With the Easterly direction, I'm getting 175+ GS at 6 gph. I hit 180+ several times. Around Palmadale, Center calls and says, "RV717EE, traffic 12 O'clock, same altitude, a Mooney." "7EE I'm looking." About that time, my TIS system comes to life and the traffic is displayed about 1 mile in front of me. Center calls the Mooney. "Mooney XYZ, traffic 6 O'clock, same altitude, an RV that will be overtaking you before long. I'll alter one of your courses if necessary."

Soon thereafter, I got a visual on the Mooney. He was slightly off to my right. It looked like a 201 as I flew past him. What a neat feeling.

I landed at home with 14.9 gallons remaining. Flight time home was 3:47 minutes. 14 frequency changes on the ride home. Within the hour I was at my favorite restaurant having a cold one and some food.

Gotta love these RV's. The moral of this story, next time, take a different route.

Great Write-up

Darwin,

Great write-up!

I've made that trip many times in a Cessna 182 or 210. I live in Sacramento and visit my family in Ahwatuke (sp?) often.

I've gone both ways. I think the south route down the valley and hook around Edwards is the safest - more forgiving terrain below; but the direct route over the Sierras and Bishop, with a few zig-zags to avoid BAMS (yeah we call them that also) and MOAs, is the most direct and scenic. The Bishop/BAMs route can also be very uncomfortable if there are winds - nasty turbulence.

I'll be making the trip next weekend for the first time in my -7. I think I'll go down the valley and hook around Edwards on the way down and then come back via Bishop/BAMs. This will be my first long cross country with my new -7! Yahoo what a great machine!

Dave C
Sacramento
RV-7 flying! 65 hours!

Yes to both

I was competing and covering the event for Model Aviation. My column is in progress now and has to be submitted this week.

Great fun at a nice field. Didn't do extremely well due to one bad round. You can't be off much in this type of competition.

Next time give me a shout in advance, and I will come on down to the meet.

I might even drag out the old Bird of Time, and see just how bad I can embarrasse myself in competition.

Would enjoy meeting you face to face.

Mike

Last edited:
So Darwin I hope you'll be coming to the TNT in Dallas in October! My local Sharon dealer tell me you have a beautiful airplane!

I'll drop you a note!

Dan in Dallas ....

Great story. You parked right by my office. It's next to the south end of runway 16 at KEDU. I take it your destination was Mavis Henson Field? I'm not a modeler but my son and I have enjoyed spectating there often.

Great story!

Which column do you write in Model Aviation? I read through it every month. Flying models is almost as much fun as flying real planes!

Soaring

RVAddict said:
Which column do you write in Model Aviation? I read through it every month. Flying models is almost as much fun as flying real planes!

Hi Josh,

I write the Soaring Column for Model Aviation. I've been writing it for a couple of years. It is a bi-monthly column.

I also enjoy the Giant Scale aerobatic planes, although I haven't competed with them in a couple of years but plan on it next year.

I didn't do too much RC during the building of my plane. I came to the conclusion that you can't serve all of the airplane Gods.

Field on Mace RD

Lars said:
Great story. You parked right by my office. It's next to the south end of runway 16 at KEDU. I take it your destination was Mavis Henson Field? I'm not a modeler but my son and I have enjoyed spectating there often.

We were at a Yolo county park. It is about 4 miles south of I80 on Mace RD. It is the place where the Archery range is located. Great site for sailplanes.