RVer's, I have been thinking of making towbar lugs to use with any Van's tailwheel plane. They would be simple, plain bushings, that would be mounted on the outside of your tailfork, using a longer axlebolt to adapt them. I would make them to accept towbars like those used on Cessna 150's or whaterver is needed.
If you fellows think there would be enough interest in a product like this, let me know and I could run off a test batch. I could even make some out of
brass for a sexier look if you wish.
Doug Bell Sr.

A lot of t/w guys already use a Cessna type tow bar on the tailwheel axle bolt. I used a slightly longer bolt shimmed with a few washers on either side for a little extra meat to hold on to. I'm not sure how what you're describing improves on that, but if it does, I'd be interested.

Got any pics or drawings?

Doug,

FYI, I've been using your new tailwheel fork, totally stock (well, except for a slightly smaller cotter pin), with the Bogert "4-RV" tow bar. http://www.bogert-av.com/bogi-bars.php

It works great! By downsizing the cotter pin slightly, the lugs on the tow bar fit right over the castle nut. The tow bar is spring loaded and there's no way it's gonna come off once it's engaged. I'm very happy with this setup.

I'm sure any lugs you produced would be very high quality and on par with how nice your tailwheel forks are. But I honestly don't see the need for 'em...plus they'll add drag stickin' out! :eek:

Just my 2 cents.

Tail wheel tugs

Doug:

I have your tail wheel fork (very nicely made and works great) and, like some of those above, I use the Bogert RV-8 towbar which works well once you downsize the cotter pin (a must-check item on my pre-flight list).

My problem is that the ramp in front of my hangar has a pretty steep grade and by the time I get the plane pulled to the door tracks it takes every ounce of muscle I've got to pull the plane past the tracks and into the hangar. On more than one occasion I had to find some help. Every powered tug I see in the catalogs is at least $1,000 which strikes me as outrageous, but I suppose is better than a heart attack. So I may have to bite the bullet and buy one (I've tried winches but that's a whole other e-mail).

If you can invent a cheaper tow motor/tug alternative, then I think you'd have a line waiting just as you do for the tailwheel forks. Just a thought.

Chris
:)

towbar

I haven't got your tailwheel yet. Hope I'm still on the list.

If your towbar would be as great as your tailwheel seems to be, then count me in for one.

gmpaul said:
I haven't got your tailwheel yet. Hope I'm still on the list.

If your towbar would be as great as your tailwheel seems to be, then count me in for one.
Big Ditto for me too..... :D
Thanks Doug.
P.S. any timeline on my wheel?