JDOJR

Need some ideas on how to support the airplane (6) during tail wheel maintenance. Thanks!
Dean

There's only about 40 - 50 pounds of weight on the tail.

You can pick it up by hand and rest the fuselage or tailwheel spring on a padded table or sawhorses.

Yep!

I use a padded saw horse placed under the most aft bulkhead just where the tailspring exits the fuselage.

Thanks for the replies. I thought that might work. Are you securing the tail with weights (sandbags,etc.)

Nope!

If you have to add weight, you probably have a severe forward CG problem. The tail should weigh around 50 lbs.

Need some ideas on how to support the airplane (6) during tail wheel maintenance. Thanks!
Dean

Dean,

Yes, the tail only weighs 50-60 lbs., but I can tell you from experience that it's just a matter of time before you do some real damage to your lower back lifting this tail--not to mention that it's cumbersome to position a saw horse while holding the tail up. Here's my solution:

011.jpg

I built the little caddy shown to contour the lower empenage with a piece of carpet providing the cushion. I made sure it wasn't tall enough to interfere with the horizontal stab (I made it idiot proof so that there was no way it could damage the stab).

I purchased a Lowe's come-a-long and chained it to the hangar rafter. The nylon strap is a common auto parts store item. Believe me, this has really made tail wheel maintenance a pleasure. Especially since I use two tail wheels, one with the fairing and one without, so I use this rig often!

005-3.jpg

004-1.jpg

P.S. This also works for an annual condition inspection to get the airplane in a better attitude for working on the engine and inside the cockpit! :)

Last edited: