tikicarver

Well Known Member
I just ordered a tail wheel assembly from API. when I called Karen asked if I wanted the pivot attachment with the 10 degree angle or the 20 degree.
Not knowing the answer, i asked here what most RV-4 people get. She said the 10 degree.

Then I did a search and found this older thread
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5661&highlight=trail+angle&page=2

However, it didn't seem to give a good answer as to what is best. Just wondering which one most RV-4 people have if they are using the API.

Also, has anyone measured the other ones out there?

Angle of the dangle...

I just ordered a tail wheel assembly from API. when I called Karen asked if I wanted the pivot attachment with the 10 degree angle or the 20 degree.
Not knowing the answer, i asked here what most RV-4 people get. She said the 10 degree.

Then I did a search and found this older thread
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5661&highlight=trail+angle&page=2

However, it didn't seem to give a good answer as to what is best. Just wondering which one most RV-4 people have if they are using the API.

Also, has anyone measured the other ones out there?

TC
I bolted one of the first API TW's on my RV4 back in the 90's. The 20 degree angle works well on all RV's as they have the same tail-wheel spring angle. On the ground the 20 degree "axle" will be lined up straight vertical and function well. However, inflight it will angle down slightly making the 10 degree look better. Since steering it's it's primary mission, I go with function over form. Your call.

You will love the API Tail-wheel...I put one on 2 RV's and a Rocket and all are still flawless.

V/R
Smokey

Here are some photos of the 20 degree on my airplanes to help you decide.

My HR2 (20 degree)

My RVX (20 degree inflight view)

Last edited:
Missing Lynx...

Smokey

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely a function guy.

It is interesting that your pivot axis is vertical when on the ground. If you look at the photo of Paul's plane, his is clearly tilted forward, looks like about 8 degrees.

Karen also mentioned she has stainless steel tail springs. Have you used one?
Any difference to the standard steel ones?

TC,
I quit using chains 15 years ago when the springs gouged my lower RV4 rudder fiberglass operating off rough strips. I bought one of the first set of Tail Lynx cables when they came out. Van's now sells them and they are far superior to anything I have tried before or since, including the Rocket Link single arm device. I like positive control...:)

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1345422222-134-369&browse=misc&product=tail-lynx

V/R
Smokey

Smokey

Ya I've seen the tail lynx,, I'm still on the fence if I want to go with those or the rocket link. After 800 hrs in a Long-EZ and a whole lot of airliner time, I need to learn how to use that rudder thing again. So not sure which one I will like.

When I said tail spring, I was talking about the metal rod the tail wheel assembly connects to. I realize Stainless will not have rust problems but I'm thinking it will be stiffer than the standard steel one most people have. probably doesn't matter, but wondering if anyone tried both.

Nice but....

TC,

In a former (F16) life, I would answer "it depends." I'm sure if API makes it you won't be disappointed. I have gone with the stock spring three times and frankly, paint gets scraped off regularly and rust quickly forms in my "lack of pavement" world. Whether it flexes less is yet to be seen.

The advantage for me would be less care and feeding, and curb appeal. If you can afford it, I say go for it.

V/R
Smokey

Ya stainless is the way to go. I have seen a bunch of planes with the paint chipped or rust spots on their tailspring. anything that helps with less MX time is worth a few extra bucks. API sells the SS for $120, the stock one is $95 from Vans.

API is currently waiting for their next shipment. As soon as I get one I'll post a photo.

Tiki