Looking at replacing my tailwheel on my 6. The actual wheel it?s self. Just wondering if anyone can comment on the new light weight tailwheel offered by VANS and A/C Spruce for just over $100.

I have found that the older round/curved shaped solid rubber wheel works very well. Normally I replace it (the older model) once it begins to flatten in shape. That said, the newer model is flat in shape right off the shelf. Would I simply be purchasing a lighter flat product that I would normally replace under similar conditions?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks..

Jerry,
No experience myself but a chap in France posted this on the UK RVsqn 3 weeks ago.....

"hello ,
I equipped my RV6 with the lightweight tailwheel sold by Van's (new product)
and after 3 or 4 landing on grass runway i found the tyre completely out off the
rim..
Also the rubber of the tyre is very soft and seems very bad quality ...i still
have a flat spot on it ...
has somebody equipped his Rv with this lighweight tailwheel ? any problem??

Thanks and sorry for my approximate english..
Alain Larzilliere
RV6 F-PAPS 30h France"

rocket steering link, just plane works guys, tailwheel

take a look at the tailwheel from the rocket steering link guys... just plane works; also sold by flyboyaccessories. i purchased the vans offered lightweight one and did not like the look, or the fact that the bearings were made in china, the rubber wheel is very soft and has a flat profile that looks like it would be more appropriate for use on a hospital cart... i ended up returning it along with the original vans wheel.

the canadian wheel is bonded to a lightweight fiber type hub, uses canadian bearings, the rubber is stiffer and has a rounded profile, it is much lighter than the stock wheel, and is the best looking of the bunch.

New Tail Wheel in Van's Catalog

Van's new tail wheel is made of soft rudder. It develops a significant flat spot just sitting in the hangar in three or so days. When taxiing, the wheel goes "thump, thump, thump" as the wheel rotates and the flat spot strikes the ground. I sent it back to Van's. I put the old tail wheel back on, and everything is fine.

The "deluxe" tire (sorry, it was the best name I could think of and it kinda stuck) that we sell (and also Just Plane Works for Canadian RVers) is about 6 ounces lighter than the Van's tire, has superior sealed bearings which won't throw grease on the bottom of your rudder, and has a very durable tread.

I've had mine on my plane for at least 200 hours and it will likely last at least a couple hundred more. My hangar mate also has similar hours on his.

IMHO, this tire is the best all around tail wheel tire for our planes.

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=183

Thanks,
Vince

I have 400 hours on one of the "Canadian/Fraizer" wheels and it looks the same as it did when it was new. My rocket is heavy on the tail and this product has lasted very well.

Me Too

I have been operating a Frazier tail wheel with a "Rocket" steering link for over a year now. The view over the nose improved with the Frazier tail wheel and the "Rocket" link is like having power steering. (As much as I like the improved appearance of the Frazier tail wheel, I covered it with a fairing just because it is easy - oh, and BTW, I got 10 free knots of airspeed - lol. Honest, the fairing does look faster...it does!)

Last edited: