edneff

Well Known Member
I'm going to upgrade my stock tailwheel fork on my RV7. Looked at lots of info on this site and the vendors sites, and can't make up my mind. The JDAir definitely has a price advantage over the other two, more than $50 less.

Any opinions on these? Anyone who has tried them all?

Thanks

JDair

Haven't tried them all, I have the JDair, it works great and I believe its the only one that has a fully bearing supported swivel. Using there steering link too.

JDair

I have the whole JDair system on my 7 works great and I am a very low time tail wheel pilot. I also have the light weight foldable tow bar that is really nice!!! Be sure to include that in your order!

Dan Larson
N717ee

I have the Bell tail wheel fork with JDAir parts for the rest. Just the way it worked out for me. The steering link is fabulous!!!

I did start out with the Vans fork, but once you convert you wont look back.

Cheers

I converted early to Bell before there where many other choices, and tail lynx. Happy 600 hours on both. All of the products listed get good reviews. This combination works great for me.
They do require maintenance every 25 hours or so or they will start to bind.

I'm a happy customer of Vince @ Flyboy Accessories. The Screaming Eagle tail wheel works fine for me.
I needed a custom socket diameter for my T-18, he was right on it.

Bell

On my RV-4 I converted from the Van's to the Bell and absolutely loved it. They were easy to work with, and I really liked the look and the clearance for rougher fields.

FWIW, I believe that Vince at Flyboys is now building the Bell fork. I have him building a custom slightly larger fork for a pneumatic tire which helps with rougher fields (such as RTS which has expansion cracks about the size of the Grand Canyon:eek:).

Greg

They do require maintenance every 25 hours or so or they will start to bind.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have had to disassemble and lubricate my tailwheel assembly twice already. Does the JDair yoke with the bearing need as much attention as the other ones?

I did not really want to replace the yoke, but perhaps I should consider that as well.

For Russ, Andy and Dan, did you go with the bearing yoke as well, or did you just replace the fork?

JDair on mine, bearing yoke and all. Works great, no issues. Only 9 months flying though.

Flyboys here

I think Vince's setup is the best value. Seems like the Bell fork might be draggy, but airflow back there is not smooth anyway...

A bearing on the fork sound like a good idea, but even with taxi at Stead (RTS), I see no issues with the bushing.

Carry on!
Mark

For Russ, Andy and Dan, did you go with the bearing yoke as well, or did you just replace the fork?
Yes the bearing yoke and all. No this setup does not require the same level of maintenance as the bushing units, this is why I went this route.

One advantage of Vince's piece is that it very easy to fit a tailwheel fairing if that is your inclination.

The others, not so easy.

Largest

Russ, what's the largest tire that can be run on yours? I'm looking for a little heavier and larger to offset a heavy engine and give better rough field.
Cj

Yes the bearing yoke and all. No this setup does not require the same level of maintenance as the bushing units, this is why I went this route.

Bottom line:

The main problem (or maintenance mightmare) with the design of ALL the T/W assys is the release pin. I see all the vendors using the same design at the release pin, so they ALL need servicing at 25 hr intervals, with constant attention to the condition of the pin.

So the question of which is better goes to the yoke design, where one vendor uses bearings as opposed to bushings. Certainly, one is more high-tech, but is it needed, or does it have any benefit?

I cannot say that the JD Air yoke will last longer, but the loads on this part are in the kingpin area - not where the sealed bearing is under the kingpin. Likewise, I am not a bearing engine ear, so I cannot say the needle bearing is a reasonable change (cost effective) from the bronze bushing, tho it seems it would be if this were a device that rotated constantly, or more than 90deg in normal use. If I can recall my interweb searching for this sort of bearing requirement on an RG gear system, the bronze bushing wins there. That is the application on the B25, anyway, tho I think the bushings are steel. I can also say the C45 does not use bearings on the gear system, nor in the tailwheel assy, other than wheel bearings.

Both of those ships were built in a time when $$$ was not such a problem compared to availability of the aircraft.

Seems our tailwheel fits into the same sort of answer: the bushing is the correct answer at the kingpin, both in cost and longevity. Fleet experience will tell us if the bearings, as used by JD Air, are more effective.

Keep in mind, the release pin needs 25hr interval attention - this is non-negotiable. Might as well lube the bushing at the same time, and save some $$$ for AVGAS.

Maybe a couple of the fellas in Team Aerodynamix can run a test for us? That would get us an anwer much quicker that any of us could do. I trust Mike to tell us thumbs up or down. Mike?

Carry on!
Mark

The main problem (or maintenance mightmare) with the design of ALL the T/W assys is the release pin. I see all the vendors using the same design at the release pin, so they ALL need servicing at 25 hr intervals, with constant attention to the condition of the pin.

So the question of which is better goes to the yoke design, where one vendor uses bearings as opposed to bushings. Certainly, one is more high-tech, but is it needed, or does it have any benefit?

I cannot say that the JD Air yoke will last longer, but the loads on this part are in the kingpin area - not where the sealed bearing is under the kingpin. Likewise, I am not a bearing engine ear, so I cannot say the needle bearing is a reasonable change (cost effective) from the bronze bushing, tho it seems it would be if this were a device that rotated constantly, or more than 90deg in normal use. If I can recall my interweb searching for this sort of bearing requirement on an RG gear system, the bronze bushing wins there. That is the application on the B25, anyway, tho I think the bushings are steel. I can also say the C45 does not use bearings on the gear system, nor in the tailwheel assy, other than wheel bearings.

Both of those ships were built in a time when $$$ was not such a problem compared to availability of the aircraft.

Seems our tailwheel fits into the same sort of answer: the bushing is the correct answer at the kingpin, both in cost and longevity. Fleet experience will tell us if the bearings, as used by JD Air, are more effective.

Keep in mind, the release pin needs 25hr interval attention - this is non-negotiable. Might as well lube the bushing at the same time, and save some $$$ for AVGAS.

Maybe a couple of the fellas in Team Aerodynamix can run a test for us? That would get us an anwer much quicker that any of us could do. I trust Mike to tell us thumbs up or down. Mike?

Carry on!
Mark

I think you?ll find there?s more to it then you?re getting, Jason claims once a year clean it out and re-grease and he knows how many hour I fly in a year, I have well over the 25 hour mark and it?s still working like butter, we'll see if it make it a year, based on the testing I know Jason has done I bet it will.

Bump steer?

Does anyone feel any "bump steer" with the single sided tail wheel linkage? With the tail wheel rebounding over bumps and the linkage not exactly in line, it can induce some rudder inputs in sync with the taxi way bumps. Can anyone comment on this with any of these tail wheel set ups?

Does anyone feel any "bump steer" with the single sided tail wheel linkage? With the tail wheel rebounding over bumps and the linkage not exactly in line, it can induce some rudder inputs in sync with the taxi way bumps. Can anyone comment on this with any of these tail wheel set ups?

I can see this when I push the airplane out of the hanger over the track for the door but I don?t notice it during operation.

After 6 mos of using the JD Air system on my -8, I have noticed no odd behavior with the system even hitting bumps, etc. It seems to control and respond exactly as it should. No tendency to unlock, bind, slip, over steer or under steer. I attribute this to the bearing arrangement and the steering linkage primarily (I know it's a complete system, but these set it apart.) As for the bearing arrgt, yes, time will tell. But they put it right where it is most needed (greatest radial load point), and it seems to be doing what was intended.

Background - Over 14 yrs, I've used various arrangements of Vans assy, forks, springs, other brand links (mini springs and single).

We now have the first batch of Bell forks (officially licensed from Doug Bell) ready to ship. Not enough yet to fill all of the waiting list orders, but we're on the right track. Look for an email from Blake soon. Orders will be filled in order.

If you'd like to be added to the waiting list, please add you name to the list using this link:

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/1120.htm

Thanks for your patience. We're working as fast as we can!

Hi, Ed!

I am a long time Bell fork user and a FlyBoy customer.

The minutes that it takes to clean and lubricate my tailwheel fork is time I don't spend doing yard work or some such nonsense. It also gives me a reason to look over my airplane.

Hope all is well with you.

George