mtclay

I remember viewing the URL of a company that makes dolly-type tailwheel towbars, but I can't seem to locate it again.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and the web address?

Thanks,
Mike

I think I found it

Sorry folks. I think I found what I was talking about on Aircraft Spruce (that is not where I originally found it).

They have two models for sale: 1) The "Tail Dragger Dragger @ $139.95; and, 2) the "Rolling Towbar for Taildraggers" @ $235.95.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on either of these dollys?

Thanks again,
Mike

No experience with the expensive versions, but a Cessna nosewheel tow bar does very well at grabbing the nut an bolt that serve as the axle on an RV's tailwheel. Aircraft Spruce sells a folding one for ~$40, and it is great for maneuvering the airplane on the ramp.

I'm not sure this would work on an RV

One of the small grass fields around here has an old lawn tractor with a bracket/tray welded on the front. They pickup the TW, put it in the tray and pull / push it with the 10 hp lawn tractor. The only problem with the RV?s is there is no lift handle in the tail section, so I?m not sure that would do the trick or not.

The tail spring works just fine as a pickup handle. It can be fairly heavy, depending on how the airplane is loaded.

Another option would be a slightly customized set of hand trucks. You can buy standard hand trucks at places like Harbor Freight for $30 - $40. If you or a buddy has a welder, you could customize them to work very well for picking up the tail of an RV for on-field movement.

Up Hill ??

Can anybody comment on the ability of the taildragger dragger to help with an uphill climb ? I have to pull my RV4 uphill (slightly) into the hangar.

Right now, I just pickup the tailspring and start walking backwards. This procedure is getting old. Or maybe my back is getting old :).

Regardless, I'd like to find a better way.

Thanks

John

John_RV4 said:
Can anybody comment on the ability of the taildragger dragger to help with an uphill climb ? I have to pull my RV4 uphill (slightly) into the hangar.

Right now, I just pickup the tailspring and start walking backwards. This procedure is getting old. Or maybe my back is getting old :).

Thanks

John

I guy at my old airport used an electric winch attached to the back of his hanger to pull his plane in. Worked great the time or two I saw it done.

Steve

A better way

John_RV4 said:

Thanks

John

John,

An old friend of mine installed an electric winch in the back of his hanger to pull his Stearman in AND OUT. To pull it out he would put a bar with a pulley on one end and slide it in a pipe he had buried in the ground out in front of his hanger. He would then run a cable under his plane through the pulley and back to the wench.

The winch had a control box on the end of a long cable so he could stand next to his plane and guide it was being pulled into his hanger.

(Looks like Steve and I were posting at the same time with the same idea.)

Mike,

Wag Aero has one that was designed by an employee. I've been using it for my RV4 and it works well with some modification (non-skid material on the wheel bars). They have a web site where you can get address and phone numbers.

Larry D

Thanks everyone for the replies.

There are more options to chose from than I realized. I'll come up with something.

Mike