chepburn

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I'm in phase 1 testing.... this morning I noticed that as I taxied out to the ramp, my tailwheel steering seemed a little sloppy. Needed to use brakes more than usual. (It's -11C in Ottawa today)

Anyway, long story short, did my runup, taxied to the button and lined up (crosswind of about 5 knots...right at my limit speed for go/nogo)

Well... the tail doesn't feel right at all. Full rudder both ways, doesnt look like the detent pin is going to cooperate... and, since I am a low time t/w pilot, taking off might work, but landing and having to just use brakes for directional control might be a tad too exciting for me.

Its a scrub. Back to the hanger.

I pulled my tailwheel off...the detente pin was stuck inside the shaft. Heat didn't release it...so I added some oil, and worked it back and forth until it came free. I lightly cleaned and regreased the shaft and reinstalled the tailwheel.

Now, the question:

What do my fellow t/w pilots do to maintain the freedom of movement on this pin? Especially my fellow pilots who operate in cold conditions.

Chris.

Lubricant

What lube are you using?

I switched away from grease and use an oil now.

I just oil is more frequently.

I also knocked off the edges a little. And when I say a little, I barely breathed on the edges with sand paper. I didn't want to make it sloppy.

No problems so far.

Check the pin for burrs and knock off the corners a bit if necessary. Filing the flat surfaces slightly may help also. Sometimes flipping it over may make a difference. Use lighter lubricant.

greg

Park it right

I have had the same problem in the cold weather. I use oil now instead of grease. But I also make sure the tail wheel sits in trail after I put the airplane in the hangar. If you leave it with the tail wheel in the reverse direction the pin sits there in the unlocked position in the cold and seems to willingly get stuck there. Better to have in the locked position if it wants to get stuck.

I took my pin out and put it on the shelf where it now resides for the rest of it's days. I then put the tailwheel steering springs and chains on the shelf next to the pin. I then cut the arms off the tailwheel steering bracket. I now have the nicest fully castoring tailwheel and have not looked back.

Having the pin stick won't make you ground loop. If it happens again, just go and fly and enjoy the experience. You won't need brakes on landing for steering purposes any more than you otherwise would have except to taxi in strongish cross winds.

I've had the pin stick several times on my RV-8. It started happening more since my last condition inspection. Like Greg and many others, I took the pin out and used a little 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper to remove any nicks and burs from the flats. Then barely knocked off the edges.

Locking pin

When the locking pin gets a burr on it, it will lock in the slot. To prevent this problem, I made a heat treated (hard) pin. If you would like information on this, give me a call at 317-718-3415. Jim

There are many ways to cure a sticking pin. An easy way to do it with your Scotchbrite wheel is to stick a pin punch in the hole in the pin to help hold it.

Then hold the pin flat against the side of the wheel for a second or two. Do this on each side of the pin to give it a nice shine. Grease or oil it and put it back in.

Stronger springs are also available.

We have some tailwheel maintenance tips in a few Word files. Email me at [email protected] if you'd like a copy. Don't worry, you won't get any spam or email jokes. I'm far to busy to mess with that!

Please don't PM me. I rarely check those.