born2fly

Anybody running a larger (8") pneumatic tailwheel? Any thoughts?

I've seen lots of posts on the Av-Pro and Bell tailwheel forks (they look Super), but they're all for 6" solid wheels. My RV6 sure makes a racket on rough strips, old military fields, etc etc.

Is it worth the weight/drag to get a cushy, forgiving support system for rough fields? Or is the better fork all that's needed?

Love to hear from anyone who's tried one.....

Related question: wouldn't it be really simple to weld extensions onto the Van's tailwheel fork, to put a new axle position lower/forward/whatever? I saw a few photos of this done. It looks lighter, narrower, stronger, and less draggy than the tubular-steel forks from AP and Bell.

G.

Check with Mike Ice.

He had custom gear legs and a custom tailwheel (similar to the Bell unit) made for his -9 so he could install large wheels and tires, including a larger tailwheel.

Anybody running a larger (8") pneumatic tailwheel? Any thoughts?

I've seen lots of posts on the Av-Pro and Bell tailwheel forks (they look Super), but they're all for 6" solid wheels. My RV6 sure makes a racket on rough strips, old military fields, etc etc.

Is it worth the weight/drag to get a cushy, forgiving support system for rough fields? Or is the better fork all that's needed?

Love to hear from anyone who's tried one.....

Related question: wouldn't it be really simple to weld extensions onto the Van's tailwheel fork, to put a new axle position lower/forward/whatever? I saw a few photos of this done. It looks lighter, narrower, stronger, and less draggy than the tubular-steel forks from AP and Bell.

G.

Greg, be sure you investigate the impact on the usable CG envelope before you add a larger tailwheel. Most RV-6's (unless a heavy engine/prop is installed) tend to operate in the aft half of the CG range--you don't want to narrow that band any further by adding much weight on the tail of the plane.

Several years ago Martin Sutter experimented with drilling 1/2" holes across the middle of the tail wheel tire to soften the ride.
How about it Martin? Did it work? What were the pitfalls?

bigger tailwheel

It's not the stuck factor, I'm mainly interested in smoother, quieter, easier rolling. Plus getting the tail a bit higher will help keep it out of the way of tossed rocks. There's also the nagging worry about dropping the tiny tailwheel into a rut that the mains would just bounce through.

I may just go with a better fork that's not so likely to catch on a low bump or rut. I've had some hellacious "whacks" just from rolling across pavement splits in these old military airfields in CA & NV.

G.