John Courte

Well Known Member
This is probably too much to hope for, but does anyone know of taildragger instruction at Santa Monica airport in CA? I'm a fairly low-time pilot, with about 140 hrs in Cherokees, C152 and C172. I'm building an RV-7X and the X is I don't really know whither tailwheel or nosewheel just yet. I've read most of the tail vs nose posts on this site and the boiled-down truth seems to be 'get training and decide.'

This is only an issue because I'm going to order the QB kit within the next few months. I have to decide what the config is going to be before I send Van my wife's new windows, flooring, appliances, and landscaping.

Taildragger instruction at HHR or CPM would be good too. I'd like to avoid VNY or anything else in the Valley for lunch-hour/rush hour traffic reasons.

thanks in advance
-john

John,
Can't help you with the "where to train" question, but I can say - go with the T/W. As a recent T/W endorsee and low time pilot myself, I find that learning how to handle a T/W plane is a challenge and the training can be frustrating. But.......when you nail your first wheel landing in your RV..........priceless. Oh, what a feeling! You are the master and your plane will love you for it. (Plus taildraggers just look cooler. ;)
Anyway, you are on the right track. Give it a try and then decide. You can still start building and decide later. I did.

There is a cessna 150 aerobat taildragger in van nuys and some citabrias at santa paula. I'm in LA too. If you find out about anything else let me know, I'm in the sam position as you.

davidkarlsberg said:
There is a cessna 150 aerobat taildragger in van nuys and some citabrias at santa paula. I'm in LA too. If you find out about anything else let me know, I'm in the sam position as you.

They used to have a Citabria at Justice Aviation, but no more. I talked to a guy at work who was taking lessons at Sunrise, but I think that's somwhere down in Orange county.

I'll post to the list if I find anything.

Try Hart Air at LGB. I rented their Super Cub for a while when I lived in Santa Monica.

Parachutes and the Shadows

dan said:
Try Hart Air at LGB. I rented their Super Cub for a while when I lived in Santa Monica.

....And they'll also re-pack your parachute for you.

... and the owner is a great fan of the "Hank" of the Shadows... that's a test of those who like early 60's English music.... :)

gil in Tucson