MedFlightDoc

Hello to all, just a general question here:

I just bought an RV-3A and as I was lifting it around the hanger by the tailwheel post, I began to wonder about the tail dragger "draggers" and other such tailwheel towbars.

Is there one specifically made for the -3 or -4? Or one in general that works well?

Any of them do business or advertise on this web site you would recommend (I like to keep my business "local" to those who support the community).

Thanks!
Ryan in Madison, WI

The standard Cessna nosewheel towbar is what many of us use. It fits right over the bolt head and nut on the tailwheel axle. <$50 from Spruce.

I use a 1 inch dia wood stick one foot long with a hole drilled in the center for a nylon rope about 4 ft long. The rope has a loop at the end which I wrap under the tail spring and hook on the attach bolt nuts. The stick is my pull handle. It cost about $1 works great and I keep it in the airplane for maneuvers away from home.

Current issue of Sport Aviation has plans for turning an aluminum crutch into a nice, light, folding towbar. I have one half-constructed, I just need to get some flat stock to make something to grab the bolt head and nut on the tailwheel. So far, $7 for the crutch at the local Value Village.

One of the best and easiest out there is a plain old Waterski Handle (google them and you'll find them all over the place). They are usually about 6' long with a nice padded handle and at the end of the rope there is already a loop that happens to fit over the tailwheel beatifully. Toss it in the baggage compartment and it won't scratch anything - weighs nothing and is easy on the back.

I've tried (and owned) most of everything out there for taildragger draggers, and the simple waterski handle is the handiest we've had.

That being said, if you don't have a full swivel tailwheel, this solutionwouldn't be much fun!

Cheers,
Stein

All these solutions are a bit overcomplex for me. I have a bit of rope, perhaps 7' long with a loop at each end. Pass it around the vertical post that the tailwheel pivots around, grab both loops and pull!

Water Ski Handle

I really like Stein's solution with the water ski handle.

I'm curious, do you lean into the pull when you turn with the plane while using it? :):rolleyes::)

Ted

I like the idea of the water-ski handle (although using one would remind me of the fact that I sold my boat to buy the engine for the RV - no complaints, but I want both!), but the solution I use is an adaptation of Steve Sampson's rope - I threaded each loop through a length of hose pipe. Easier on the hands, and it doesn't rub the paint off the tailwheel assembly. Might cost you 50 cents more though, so cost might be an issue!

Happy flying.

Derek

RV-7 G-CFWV.

My buddy is looking for something like this but for tail wheel.

telegaforGennadiy.jpg

He has a relatively heavy tailwheel airplane and would like to park her in a tight hangar at an angle. We would appreciate any ideas. I know Bill Repucci has a video somewhere towing his RV with a little tractor. What king of towing bar was that?

... I know Bill Repucci has a video somewhere towing his RV with a little tractor. What king of towing bar was that?
Vlad,

I used the same towbar as recommended by Bob in this post:
I purchased a Cessna 152 collapsible towbar for my RV4 - it works great and fits perfectly in my small baggage compartment.

Go to: http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Aircraft/Accessories/Towbars.html

It's the first towbar listed for $37.95. (VIK1)

Bob

Only, I turned the handle 90 degrees and drilled a second hole in it. This allowed me to stick the now vertical handle in the hole on the garden tractor's hitch.
(BTW, here is that video.)

In addition, I used a longer than standard bolt for the tailwheel and brass bushings to the towbar would have something to grab onto. Those bushings can be seen in this picture.

Last edited:
Towbar

If anybody has any interest I have a custom made tow bar that I used for a similar set-up as in the video with the tractor.

I used it on an old Honda three wheeler that had reverse. It is built to straddle the stock Van's or Vince's tailwheel over the wheel bolt and has flanged nylon bushings so it won't scratch the paint. Very well built girder style construction so it can push and pull the plane. Good for use at the hanger with a tractor or ATV.

I moved from the hangar where I needed it and gave the three wheeler to a buddy so I no longer need it.

Will post a picture of it later.

Ted

What make/model is it?

Can somebody identify the brand (make/model) of those casters? I would like to figure out the hydraulics details.

telegaforGennadiy.jpg

Pictures Of Towbar

Here are the pictures of the towbar I made for towing with a tractor or ATV. Any interest from anybody as I no longer need this.

Towbar2.jpg

Towbar1.jpg

Towbar3.jpg

Towbar4.jpg