bhassel

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to seriously start the tail cone work. Are there any reasons I shouldn't flow right through and rivet it all up? I'm not young, flexible or skinny. I do plan on ADSB & auto-pilot (don't really know where that all hooks up), if it makes a difference.

Obviously waiting also for the upcoming stiffner kit.

Wings, fuse and fire forward are suppose to ship on Aug 26th!!!!:D

Thanks,

Bob

That's what I did, Bob. Blew right through that entire kit in no time! I see no reason not to get it all done. Without the tailcone connected to the fuselage, you can easily do anything you need to do!

If you don't have the 'edge forming' tool (many varieties) go ahead and obtain one. You'll need to slightly form the outer edges of many tailcone skins.

Dito what Gary said. I used the Cleaveland edge forming tool and only wished I would have worked the area of the aft portion of the top skin a little more than I did. That is the area in the vicinity of the tail cone?s aft bulkhead where Van?s mentions in the plans to add more break. I could have used a bit more break for an ideal fit.

I am nearing the completion of my RV-12 -- all that is left is attaching the tailcone to the fully-completed fuselage (with engine and avionics all installed). I am very glad I waited to the end of the build to install my tailcone. If I were to do it again (AB-LSA, of course :D), I would install an electrical connector plug for the trim wires at the junction of the fuselage / tailcone. Doing that facilitates your doing the final install on all of the wires and lines going through the bowels of the fuselage. Having the fuselage and tailcone in two pieces also makes storage and movement much easier.

I'm not too far behind Bob and was about to ask the same question; thanks for doing so, Bob, and to others for their input.

Having said that, I now have more questions:confused:. Where do I start on the process of inspection and certification? When do I have to decide on ELSA or E-AB? Where can I get well educated on the implications of each path? Is there a Sticky thread on these topics that I overlooked?

thanks in advance,

David ? If you build the RV-12 using ALL of the components supplied by Van?s and assemble the aircraft EXACTILLY per the plans without adding modifications or changing components, by default you have built the RV-12 as ELSA. For ELSA certification, you are required to build an exact carbon copy of the Van?s factory SLSA RV-12.

The moment you add a modification DURING the build that others typically add after certification or change to other components such as flush rivets, radios, power plant, etc. the builder is now building the RV-12 as EAB and is required to certificate the aircraft as EAB.

The following link from the EAA will help you understand the differences between building EAB or ELSA.

http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/articles/2010-10_darside.asp

Sorry can?t help you with the paperwork ? haven?t gotten that far yet

I'm not too far behind Bob and was about to ask the same question; thanks for doing so, Bob, and to others for their input.

Having said that, I now have more questions:confused:. Where do I start on the process of inspection and certification? When do I have to decide on ELSA or E-AB? Where can I get well educated on the implications of each path? Is there a Sticky thread on these topics that I overlooked?

thanks in advance,

One benefit of ELSA is that if you buy all of the kits from Van's, with the last kit you will receive a Documentation package that includes the forms needed to register and request the airworthiness for the airplane. Going EAB you will be on your own.

There have been a lot of posts in this forum that you will find very helpful in this regard. It may be a bit of homework to search them out, but worth the time.

thanks in advance,

I had my first EAA Tech inspection after most of the spar work was done on the Stabilator. There was enough work done to show the quality and enough variety to see if I was headed in the wrong direction.

Since I had to skip around a bit because of re-ordering various parts, I already had the bulkheads done. The F-1211 bulkhead received a lot of attention and none of it was bad! :D

You might talk with your local EAA tech rep and find out when he/she would like to inspect. The more they can see, the better it'll be for you. Also, bring up any things that might have been stumping you during the build. While the plans are very good, I also have the Homebuilderhelp DVD's and that helped answer many questions during the build (so far)!

As far as ELSA or EAB, I too debated that. The advantages for me for the ELSA were to great to ignore. Should I ever need to sell, the new owner can take 16 hours worth of classes and work/sign off what they wish. They can never do that on an EAB. Additionally, YMMV, but for me I'd stay with ELSA unless I were going to do something different like a UL engine or didn't like the Dynon (not likely!), etc. I'm not going to be doing something major like that, I just don't have the experience to understand the complexities involved or how to work around the problems that might crop up.

I already have the standard mods planned; Moeller Fuel gauge, the stabilator tips are setting in the guest bedroom (and they look awesome), cooling mod, AOA, parking brake, etc. Of course there may be non-standard mods as well. For example, my wife would like to have on the panel in front of her what I have in the panel in front of me (notice the implication that I might be able to set in the left seat :cool:). That means a second SkyView screen. That will of course have to be managed. I will have the lighting option but I'll be flying LSA so really I won't need it much. If I do, the second screen gets powered down first. Naturally, all of the mods will be after the pink slip. I just wish I could work in the fuel gauge a head of time. Since I can't work in the fuel gage, I'll probably order the tank pre-built.

The time you have to decide on ELSA or EAB is when you do the first thing that's outside of the ELSA box. Make sure you understand what's required for EAB at the beginning if you're even considering it. You 'll need documentation to support the EAB that you don't need for the ELSA (remember the 51% rule for EAB?). Then ask - is it worth it? Do I have to do it now?

Build what you want, when you want...its your dream!

Good luck and keep pulling those rivets!

Bob

The biggest deal is a ELSA 5 hour fly off instead of EAB 40 hours. Thassa big deal! Bob, the forum has a post about adding the hole for the Moller gauge when you build the tank. Put in nut plates. Test fit the gauge. Make a simple cover plate with matching holes, use the gasket that comes with the gauge, and cover the hole. You have thus repaired a hole in the tank in an acceptable, airworthy way. This info came in an email from vans. Might be apocryphal... But I did that, no problem, simply screwed in the Moller gauge after certification. Was able to get out all the chips and do the leak test etc with the "repair" in place.

And you can 99% install the AOA feature while building strictly ELSA because it is just an invisible bit of functionless 1/8 inch tubing lying in the wing and fuselage until you put in the sensor rivet or "inflation needle" (easily done post-install) and tell the Skyview it is there. In fact it is even then part of your original W&B! (but about the weight of the extra tie-wraps that most people use!)

I am considering an extra Skyview screen. That will be easy to do since I put the intercom next to the ELT switch leaving only the glove box on the RHS. Vans has the piece for that.

Last edited: