apkp777

Well Known Member
Okay, I am starting to run some tail wiring and the static line to the FWD cabin and ultimately up behind the instrument panel. I don't know where the best "run" is for everything.

I put conduit beneath the baggage floors and seat floors with pull strings fed through them. However that takes you to just aft of the center spar 904 blkd. Where do I go from there?

OPTIONS:
1. through bulkhead and up sidewall L&RH sides
2. Up the center of the bulkhead L&RH side covers out the top somewhere and fwd a bit to the panel
3. Go through blkd center to firewall, the up the firewall and back to the panel
4.????? Please help!

Tony,

I did a bit of all of your suggestions. Most of my wiring goes up the center to the firewall, up the firewall and then spreads out to the various panel positions. I ended up with my battery in the back so my main battery cable goes up the R side, along the floor to the firewall, and through the firewall to the engine compartment (master in back, starter on firewall). I put in a 3/4 inch thick piece of foam insulation with an Al top (basically a sandwich of Al fuselage, foam, and Al floor) and the #2 wire goes in with the foam. I also brought some of my wiring (from wing functions) in the side, and up each side bulkhead.

Static line I put on the L side just under the longeron. Had to make a bit of a detour around all the tipup latching hardware. Pitot in my case is on L wing and comes in and forward with wing wiring (i.e., up the bulkhead).

Bottom line is that wherever you want to put wiring that makes sense will work fine. I also put some access panels in my front top deck that allow me to get to the wiring running up the firewall relatively easily. And I am not using the van's heat diffuser - I put in two heat muffs, one for each side since my wife likes it warmer and I like it cooler.

greg

Greg,

Did you take the wing wiring and pitot line to the center then fwd through the 904 blkd and to the firewall and up?

are the temps at the firewall high enough to cause problems with the pitot- static lines

Tony,

No, everything from the wing went through the holes in the side of the spar, forward along the sides, through the bulkhead (don't remember the numbers, probably the 904) and up the forward side of the bulkhead - none of the wing stuff went down the center. Wing stuff included the pitot line, lights, antenna (Archer wingtip VOR), my wing camera, and the autopilot servo. Stuff that went in the center tunnel and through the center holes in the spar included the autopilot pitch servo wires, Dynon compass feed, power source to the strobes (strobe power pack in in the bay behind the baggage), & ELT wiring (I think that's all). I do not have a taillight, but did put a wire down the center so that I can install one eventually if I decide to do so. This entire bundle was wrapped with spiral nylon wire-wrap - basically a nylon tube that is split in a spiral the length of the tube and keeps all the wires together and out of the way of the pushrod.

Neither my pitot or static line gets as far forward as the firewall, but I can't imagine that the firewall gets anywhere near hot enough to affect these lines (short of having an engine fire in which case they would not be at the top of your worry list...).

cheers,
greg

Tony,

I drilled a hole in the 2nd to last bulkhead above the weldment and a snap bushing was used.

The hole in the last bulkhead was drilled through the weldment, on the centerline but equidistance between the top two bolt holes and the bottom bolt hole. About even with where the wires would enter the rudder bottom.

All the wires ran through one snap bushing, the smallest one I could use. It was tight and the position light wires ran right next to the strobe wires.