CNEJR

Well Known Member
Just got my new Bell Tailwheel fork. It installed nicely down to the point I was ready to install my new tail wheel recently purchased from Van's. I noticed when I went to put it into my old Van's tailwheel fork last week that it was really tight, couldn't use the washers as before, even pressed the bearings to make sure they were fully seated. When I went to mount it in the Bell Fork, there was just no way it would fit with the spacers. Called Van's to find out that they had changed suppliers and the new ones were wider. Van's stated that is just the way it is, all we have, move along; nothing to see here. Got to talking with them about the new "lighter, more expensive one"and found out they are about the same as the old ones. Oh well, it's only airplane money.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Chuck,

Post it for sale here. Surely someone with an older fork could use a replacement wheel!

cheers,
greg

Are you talking about the hub on the tire being wider? Geez, if that's true, how will this new tire retrofit into the old forks?

How wide is this new hub?

Are you talking about the hub on the tire being wider? Geez, if that's true, how will this new tire retrofit into the old forks?

How wide is this new hub?

I think the hub is a little less than an 1/8" wider. I pressed the bearings to make sure they were seated. When I put it in the Bell tailfork with spacers, it was so tight the wheel would hardly move. I could have ground the spacers to make it fit, but thought I just had a bad wheel.

Wow, that's not good.

After all these years, why the change to hub width? Maybe it is an odd batch?

We have tailwheel tires that will fit the old tailwheel forks, or our forks, Bell's fork, etc...