pilot28906

Well Known Member
:DOK, it's official. Yesterday I ordered the Fus. Kit and went with the Tail Wheel version.

My Reasons:
1) I didn't like the main tower location in the cockpit on the A.
2) TW seems to be a more simple design and maybe build.
3) Maybe less chance to flip in an off field landing.
4) A little cheaper and a little faster (very little).

Question:

Keep the Van's tail wheel or go with one of the aftermarket wheels? If aftermarket, which one and can the Van's be deleted from the kit?

Thanks,

You really want a different tailwheel fork. I have the Doug Bell fork, it is a drop in replacement, and it works great. Post a request to Doug on this thread and he will get back to you.

The wheel itself is a different story. DJM makes the lightweight wheel and Dayton had some problems with his rubber supplier, as noted in another thread. However, in talking with him, he believes that problem has been resolved.

I only have 5.2 hours on my DJM wheel so I can't comment if it will hold up or not. However, I have over 250 hours on the Bell fork and wouldn't fly without it.

Last edited:
I have the Bell fork and Flyboy Acc sealed bearing wheel, and love both of them...MUCH better than Van's IMHO. :cool:

1100 hrs on the old, non-breakaway, stock Van's tail wheel with no handling issues & only normal maintenance. I'm guessing that it's had a couple of sets of the really cheap (and really inexpensive) bearings. (Also, 1100 hours on the stock fuel selector.)

It's your airplane, and your money....

:)

Charlie

13 months since first flight, ~180 hrs (hobbs) flying, I've replaced the stock Vans parts with the Vans lightweight tailwheel and deluxe tailwheel springs and am having a blast with absolutely no regrets or second thoughts about the configuration...I wouldn't expect you to be any different :)

Aviation Tech Products

If I delete the Van's tail wheel assembly from the kit, will the wheel/tire, chains, and control arm work with the ATP fork?

I went with the ATP fork. At the time the Bell fork was in limbo and there was uncertainty about delivery times. The Bell fork is a work of art. I really, really liked it (a friend had one on his shelf waiting to install it on his -8) The ATP fork is also very nice. I went with the aftermarket fork because it gave me a bit more forward visibility while taxiing. The difference was noticeable.

If I delete the Van's tail wheel assembly from the kit, will the wheel/tire, chains, and control arm work with the ATP fork?

I have the stock tail wheel assembly, except the fork. It's a direct replacement for the Van's fork. Repucci has a great method of connecting the chains using an "eye" bolt and shackles. I have all the hardware and will install it when the weather improves.

Thanks

Thanks for the info; I will give Van's a call and see if they will delete the fork.

Bill Repucci, do you know Bret Smith from GA? He did an EAA inspection for me and I thought he mentioned your name some time back. Also in the same EAA chapter.

Thanks for all the great info.

Thanks for the info; I will give Van's a call and see if they will delete the fork.

Bill Repucci, do you know Bret Smith from GA? He did an EAA inspection for me and I thought he mentioned your name some time back. Also in the same EAA chapter.

Thanks for all the great info.

Bret was probably swearing at me, yes I know him. I did a tech inspection for him while he was building and we built up my O-360 in his shop last February.

When you order the fork from Bell, ask them for the longer bolt and bushings. This will allow you to use a Cessna tow bar on the tailwheel to move it around.

location / thread hijack

John,

What airport will you use when you get the airplane flying? I love to come to Murphy, but know of no airports close by.

David Watson
49FD

Bill, thanks for the info on the bolt. Bret is a great guy and a world of info.

David,
If you are coming to Murphy the nearest airport is Western Carolina Regional (KRHP) (formerly know as Andrews-Murphy) about 10 miles east of Murphy. 5500' x 100' with GPS approach but with a high MDA.

Andrews

I've been into Andrews many times. I didn't know if there was a private airstrip, etc. closer to Murphy. I love it in your part of the world.

David watson
49FD