floridawing

Well Known Member
Hello, I have a JDair tail link on my HR2. The problem I am having is that with correct alignment of the rudder and tailwheel I do not have the 6 full turns of rod end engagement called out in the plans. I only have 4 full turns. I really like the tail link and would like to keep it but I need longer rod end bearings so as to have more rod end engagement? Does anyone know where I can purchase these rod end bearings that are alittle longer? Thanks a lot.

IMG_0727_zps554be5f8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Have you checked to see why the "standard" rod ends wouldn't fit? I'd be surprised if JD Air sold them shorter than needed.

Am I wrong or is that a non-standard tailwheel assembly (not just the fork, but the pivot as well)? That might explain the mismatch... If that mount was just a hair longer than standard you might end up with less engagement on the threads.

Note that this isn't intended as a criticism, just trying to clarify so that it might help others in the future as well.

I have the same problem on my fastback -4. I emailed them about it but they never got back to me. I wanted to see if they could make a longer arm. Been thinking about buying an extension from spruce.

P/N 10376

Link Size

I would not recommend operating with the rod ends only in 4 turns!

Our Tail Link is designed to fit most RV's. Custom setups can require a little fine tuning.

HR's -3's and some old -4's can have all kinds variance in the tail wheel mounting location in relation to the rudder horn.

We have the control arm with 3 mounting holes to help with this issue. If you don't use that there are a couple other options.

1. Another hole can be drilled aft of the existing hole in the rudder horn. This will move the link aft.

2. The bent rod on the front of the tail link can be "un-bent" slightly this will increase the length of the link.

We reply to ALL product questions in our inbox. If you have not received a response please feel free to call.

Didn't we talk?

I also email them and have not herd back?

Since there is no name attached to this I can't be 100% sure. I spoke with the owner of a HR2 with one of our links and was concerned about 4 turns of the rod end bearing. I also believe it was an API tailwheel set up in which we provided a steering arm.

If it is the same person same plane, I believe it is, we talked on at least two occasions this past week. I provided 2 solutions to the problem after Jason and I consulted.

We pride ourselves customer service and unequaled availability. Emails are usually answered very quickly. We both have other jobs and both enjoy flying, so emails might not get answered instantly. Unless I'm in the air, I will answer my phone, including Holidays, weekends and virtually anytime day or night.

Taillink

Hi Darwin! yes, I spoke with you last week. Thank you very much for the information on how to get more than four threads of engagement on the rod end bearings. I will probably bend the rod a little to get the extra length needed. It would be great if the link arm for the API tail wheel had the three holes to allow a little more adjustment. I thank you and Jason for all the help and a very nice product!