f14rio

I am about to order my RV7 tailkit within a week or two. I plan on getting the electric trim option. I am unsure of the lighting though so my question is should I get the lights for the tail at this time and if so what should I get so that I can legally fly at night? Do the lights need to be installed during the build phase of the tail or can it be done when the tail is mated to the fuse?

Thanks!

Don't worry about the lights now

Relax, get the tail kit, order the lights after you determine the lighting system that is right for you.

Don't install (or drill) the fiberglass rudder bottom until you are mating the rudder to the fuselage. This will leave it open for running wires and gives you more flexability to work around any fitting issues that may arise. Good luck and welcome to the club.

Plus, you never know where LED or xenon or foobar light technology will go in the next couple of years. The LED stuff wasn't a popular option when I built my plane, so I went pretty much "standard" (Whelen strobes & position lights).

My point is -- wait as long as possible before actually buying the lights themselves.

On a related note, I'm looking for a DROP IN LED replacement for my Whelen position lights. I have the combo position/strobe lamps. I want either a 12v LED lamp that will just screw into the socket in my Whelens, or I want a combo strobe/LED position unit that has the same exact footprint as my Whelens. Anybody got any leads on such a thing?

Perihelion LED

N941WR said:
Kevin,

I read that is being a replacement bulb only, you still need to buy the fitting and strobe.

Am I correct?
I don't think the Perihelion LED fits in the light/strobe unit. You need the whole tail light (only) unit to gut and install the LED.

PerihelionDesign.com said:
This lamp retrofits a Whelen A555 or Grimes A2064 tail light (not supplied).
This line from their web site is why I think you still need to buy the Whelen or Grimes tail light.

Has anyone installed this thing yet?