MSFT-1

Well Known Member
When I did the walk around on my RV-10 I found that the tail light (white position light) was burned out. I can't read the part number off the bulb or the current draw etc.

Anyone know the part number for this bulb (I don't need the socket, just the bulb)?

This looks like a $2 bulb, but the only thing I found in the Van's store is $22. I know that aviation markup is ridiculous, but I can't believe that bulb could ever sell for $22.

thanks!

If you post up a picture, I might be able to tell you what it is. Otherwise, go to your local autoparts store and find a match.

If those are aviation lights (probably ), then brace yourself Bruce....$22 sounds about what I used to pay for a Nav light bulb in my certified planes....haven't had to replace one in the RV yet!

Why I don't fly at night

The Whelen bulb for the tail of my RV-6 was $38 plus shipping. The new one burned out in less than a month. Cheaper for me to just leave the plane in the hangar when it's dark.

If it is the combination nav/strobe that is pretty common in the -10, that will explain the steep price.

It's not a strobe, just a position light in the tail

At the base o the rudder.

Very small bulb (much smaller than the wingtip position lights).

I will give Van's a call and report what I find.

Even the Whelen position lights are pricey. And Heaven forbid you should break the glass cover, either. It's not an automotive replacement bulb and the $22 sounds right.

Tail light bulb 14v - 25w

I did some checking on the ERC tail light navigation replacement bulbs, because there is no reason why this small lamp should cost $22 and up. The lamp fits inside of the circular tail strobe - navigation light base and is available in the Vans catalog. The lamps are 14v, 1.8a, 25 watt, xenon bulbs and sell on line for about $4.50 - $6 each. They only have a 200 hour work life rating, which is probably why you need a new one. The lamp is known as an ERC, T3 1/4, wedge base. To locate this lamp on Google, type, "ERC 14v lamp" or sylvania 1991 or 55001. Ive seen them up to $35 at some sites who sell them as projector lights. I just bought one for $5 plus shipping on Ebay. Im really not surprised that they cost a few bucks each and are retailed at $22, but I have the time to shop around for the best price.

Mike Shook
RV9a
942WG

Last edited: