f14rio

The very first page of the instructions for the tail include a reference to "enlarging to #19" and something further down about #12. I am thinking these refer to drill size but then Van's shows nothing about those drill bit sizes on the required tools for the emp. Are the instructions referring to drill size or something I don't understand (yet). If drill size then I need to order some more tools...

Just wondering... getting a feel for the instructions before the kit arrives. (I order it on Friday - woo hoo!!! can't wait btw)

You will need a #12 and #19 for the emp.. Get a few, I liked using the #12 for deburring and they go dull quick.

Seconding Dan's recommendation on the workshop. Also, spend some time leafing through Avery, Cleaveland and Aircraft Spruce catalogs. There's more there than just stuff to buy.

Thanks for info!

I have considered going to a build class but have elected to try it on my own. There are a number of active RV builders out at my local EAA chapter so I think I will be fine if I run into any problems.

I also did the practice kits ... actually, 2 of the control surface kits and 1 of the tool boxes. Learned quite a bit on the first two and applied that to the last one and it turned out quite nice.

It's all good. The #19 should really be drilled to #21 (the bigger numbers are smaller). I'm not really sure what Vans was thinking with the larger size. #21 is the correct size for the 5/32 rivet not #19.

f14rio said:
There are a number of active RV builders out at my local EAA chapter so I think I will be fine if I run into any problems.
Yep! We'll take care of ya Larry! :D :cool:

osxuser said:
It's all good. The #19 should really be drilled to #21 (the bigger numbers are smaller). I'm not really sure what Vans was thinking with the larger size. #21 is the correct size for the 5/32 rivet not #19.

I think the #19 drill that Van's and f14rio mention is for the #8 screws, not rivets. At least that's what my Cleaveland catalog pull out chart indicates. Are there any 5/32 rivets in any RV project these days anyway?

Speaking of charts...is the Cleveland chart you are referring to giving you the proper drill to use for whatever screw, bolt, or rivet? I've been looking for something to hang on my wall that will give me the right size drill to use for the proper hole. :confused: I have the aircraft standards handbook, but I couldn't find any chart in there. Am I blind?

cjensen said:
Speaking of charts...is the Cleveland chart you are referring to giving you the proper drill to use for whatever screw, bolt, or rivet? I've been looking for something to hang on my wall that will give me the right size drill to use for the proper hole. :confused: I have the aircraft standards handbook, but I couldn't find any chart in there. Am I blind?

Yes, Chad--just call Cleaveland for a catalog, and it should be in there. That said, I think I saw something in the Avery catalog that was similar, just not as nicely presented.

Thanks Steve! I had a Cleveland catalog from my last order, but I didn't look at it. I'll call 'em! :cool:

Go here...

cjensen said:
I've been looking for something to hang on my wall that will give me the right size drill to use for the proper hole.
Chad, if you can't find your Cleveland catalog, go to my tips & resources page, and in the Reference section click on the "Printable Rivet Gun Pressure Table and Frequently Used Drill Sizes (PDF)" link. I got the data from Dan Checkoway's site and put it into a more printer-friendly format... with his permission of course. I also posted a complete and printable drill size table as well (again, thanks to Dan). :)

Last edited:
Thanks Brad, got it! I had already printed Dan's pressure table, but I guess I didn't see the drill size chart. :rolleyes:

Thank you!
:)

osxuser said:
I believe most of the cases where a #19 is called for is actually for a screw, isn't it? If you use a nutplate jig, the #21 will not work.

A couple notes:

I assume the rivet gun pressures are for a 3X gun. Other guns may require different pressures.

With a good gun, you can just about count the taps. FWIW, I tap a short burst, just a little more than the minimum I can do, then a couple more & -3 rivets are almost in spec. Just my technique & you will need to develop your own. I can't see how a person could accurately time a burst to 1.5 seconds vs. 1 second and the best time may be 1.3 secs. & things will vary further with how you work the trigger. So I would use the times listed in Dan's chart only as a crude starting point.

I didn't see which RV you are building. I have to ask: Might the drill size required differ with the different models? So maybe the directions are right this time? I would confirm before drilling the larger size.

One of our builders says you can get numbered split point drill bits at Lowes. Our local hardware store sells numbered drill bits. Except for the #30 & #40 bits, so far I have not needed more than one of each size (working on SB wings). They carry both the steel bits as well as cobalt, which is what you get from Avery. Be sure to use Boelube.