roadrunner20

Well Known Member
In light of the Van's service bulletin for the nose gear,
I've been considering a change to a tail dragger setup.
My intention is to do more travel into turf strips.

Maybe this would make a good poll question.

What I'd like to know is:
Are you happy with your present setup or are you considering a change?

Have you regretted your decision on your current setup?
If so, what is your current setup?

Last edited:
I will save you time

The majority of each are happy with what they have. Read the entire thread about Anatomy of a flip in the Safety section to include the taildragger flips.

Go with whatever type suits you.

Dan, I am not a great pilot, but on the other hand I don't think I'm a bad one (which, if I may be so presumptuous, probably speaks for a lot of people who are not professional pilots). My -6 is a taildragger and with good transition training from Mike Seager I've never regretted the choice. Are there some crosswind situations where a nosedragger might be able to handle things better? Maybe. Are there grass/rough field situations where the taildragger is better? Yes, at least sometimes.

All other things being equal, your skill level (feet/hands coordination) with a TD will probably be a bit higher than what a nosedragger could get away with.

I would not change my decision. I think Ron has it right;)

Dan my old friend,

Knowing you for a couple years I think what you are actually experiencing is withdrawl from building! You got off so inexpensively on your current bird I think you may have to use this to build another plane! Don't fight it... your wife will come around, another plane just may be in your future!

Dan my old friend,

Knowing you for a couple years I think what you are actually experiencing is withdrawl from building! You got off so inexpensively on your current bird I think you may have to use this to build another plane! Don't fight it... your wife will come around, another plane just may be in your future!

Ok, Travis. You are correct. I am beginning to experience this builder's withdrawal.

I go to the airport all the time, even when the weather is bad.
I putz around looking for something to do.
In Florida, we get antsy when we go 2 days of IFR.

Although, I am building a barn for my Nann's 2 horses... getting close to completion.

Starting to look at helicopters....
It could get me to the 7A at the airport.

Last edited: