MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
Does anyone know the internals to a Lycoming sump?
Does it drain oil to the drain plug even when in a pitch up attitude?
My first few oil changes I would prop the plane up to get it flying level. Now I have been leaving it on the tailwheel. It seems to drain all the oil.
What do all you other tailwheelers do?

I wondered about this as well...

I recently did the first oil change on my RV-8 (Aero Sport - Titan O-375). I have a quick drain in the rear sump plug hole.

After draining the oil with the tail down, I removed the suction screen to check for debris. I got an additional 2-3 tablespoons of oil.

For this amount of additional oil I will not be raising the tail...

On the first oil change I put a level on the oil pan and determined if there was any areas that would not drain. Maybe just drain the oil in the raised position and raise the tail afterwards to see if any more comes out?

I find that whether I start with the tail up or down, and then move it after all the oil has drained - a little more comes out. Kind of like shaking the bottle.

I put the tail up (easy to do with a Tailmate) because it is so much easier to look over and work on the whole engine.

I roll the left wheel up on a 2x4 and raise the tail about 18?, all in an effort to tilt it towards my quick drain. It really doesn't get much more oil out but it makes me feel better.

.......... After draining the oil with the tail down, I removed the suction screen to check for debris. I got an additional 2-3 tablespoons of oil. .........

IMHO, the suction screen, or sump screen, should be pulled and inspected on every oil change. It is designed to catch big pieces of metal. You'd like to know if your engine is making big chunks of metal!

Some folks look at the screen at the condition inspection.

Some folks never look at the screen. :eek:

To really want to drain the oil, disconnect the lower Oil Cooler pipe as well. ~400ml (not far off half a quart) in there I've found.

Ditto any inverted system you have.

As Paul says, whatever you do, including just waiting a few hours, more will always emerge. The more left in, the more the new oil is immediately contaminated.

As per Pete, I have always considered the screen removal / inspection a part of every oil change.

above level attitude

I punch a hole on top of the oilfilter, use the Tailmate (GREAT device!) and lift the tail as high as the Tailmate goes (slightly above level).

Then I drain the oil through the lowest drainhole on the engine (seen from the raised tail attitude)

I always compare the quantity of oil shown on the stick before draining to the actual quantity drained.
That way, I'm sure that I get almost all the oil out of the engine. (I hope )

A bonus: when I unscrew the oilfilter after a couple of hours, there's almost no oil left in it. Saves alot of mess....

Last edited: