aviti

I've got the empennage done and getting ready to start the tail cone. Does anyone know if I can fit the tail cone through a 36" doorway if the vertical and horizontal stabs aren't mounted yet? I'd like to stay in my basement with the build as much as possible.

I think it is slightly more than 36" wide.. but I will measure for you when I get to the hangar later (6pm edt).

I was able to easily get mine through a 36" doorway but it was a straight shot on both sides of the doorway - I didn't have to make any turns.

I measured mine and got 39 1/2 inches wide at the top of the F-1280 skins where the built-in J-stiffeners are located. Height is about 33 inches, so if you turned it sideways, it could probably fit through a 36-inch doorway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys! I have a straight shot out my basement workshop door so it sounds like I'll be good. I was already thinking that turning it sideways would be the way to go. I really appreciate you guys checking.

If the door only opens 90 degrees, you?ll likely need to remove it from the hinges, like I had to do.