A simple question I hope ? For those using a Dynon engine monitor do you use the TACH GENERATOR that comes with Van's FF kit or does Dynon supply you with a sender with their engine probe kit. Thanks for the response, I'm not sure as to what to order and I already have the Van's unit as a default.

Ron Kostus
Rolling Meadows, Il.
N567RK - reserved

Dynon did not provide me with any sort of tach sender with my EMS-D10A (bought over a year ago). BUT you can get the signal from a Lightspeed if you've got one, or they specify a circuit (maybe just a resistor) for picking off the tach from the magneto if you've got one. I think I read that other sorts of electronic ignition are not supported.

If you need to know exact details, post on the forums on the Dynon webpage, or download the EMS documentation also from their website.

Mine comes off Magneto

If you are using a magneto, Dynon provides a resistor to place between the mag and the engine moniter. It is a very easy install.

My D180 only came with a couple resistors that are used to limit the voltage from the mag lead going to the tach input. The unit expects a > 10V pulse on the tach line, so analog tach senders won't work.

The current software allows a left and right input, and they can be set up as X pulses per rev to allow for differences in how the tach output is presented. For example, the pulse per rev setting is 1 for mags, and 2 for the Lightspeed (according to the LSE instructions). Best I can tell, the Dynon displays the first signal it sees, and ignores the other. When that signal is lost (during a mag check) it automatically switches to the other input.

Unfortunately, I just replaced my right mag with a Plasma-III, and have not been able to get the tach display to work. The LSE tach output is supposed to be 10V, and the Dynon wants "at least" 10V, so maybe it's close, but no cigar. I've got to put a scope on this and see what the voltage really is, but it's not my biggest problem at the moment.

Cheers,
Rusty (nearly free)

Thnak you all for the updated information. I'm sending van's generator back for credit. I'll follow through with the Dynon website.

Ron kostus