Anyone have PIREPs for android apps that could provide some ?flight instruments? for the backseater in a tandem aircraft (RV8), using the device?s INTERNAL sensors? Reliability/accuracy isn?t that big a deal, as long as it?s close ? just something for backseater situational awareness while they try flying some maneuvers from the rear.

I?ve tried a couple apps that attempt to simulate an AI or AI/DG using the device?s gyros and magnetometers, but they seemed pretty glitchy.

What would be really nice would be a ?5 pack? like my Garmin 396 provides, using purely GPS-derived info (ground speed, gps altitude, mag track, etc). Seems like a phone/tablet app could do the same thing quite easily ? I just haven?t seen someone try an app for it.

Just looking for ideas?

Not exactly what you are asking for but I find that a Dynon D2 does the job admirably. You get ground speed and not airspeed, but it has internal magnetometers and gyros. I bought one as a backup instrument panel for myself. I got the D2 because I also needed a G meter. If you don't want that a D1 is cheaper.

Not exactly what you are asking for but I find that a Dynon D2 does the job admirably. You get ground speed and not airspeed, but it has internal magnetometers and gyros. I bought one as a backup instrument panel for myself. I got the D2 because I also needed a G meter. If you don't want that a D1 is cheaper.

I was going to recommend the D1 as well.

For tablets, you'd have to also have a GDL39 3D or Stratus 2.... that plus tablet plus app subscription seems to me more than cost of D1.

I was going to recommend the D1 as well.

For tablets, you'd have to also have a GDL39 3D or Stratus 2.... that plus tablet plus app subscription seems to me more than cost of D1.

I have to agree. I already had a subcription to foreflight and a AFS5400 so buying a ~$20 wifi doggle was cheap for me to get that stuff on my backseater's ipad.

If I didn't already have that stuff I would buy the D1 or D2.

This is one situation where the GRT HX, HXr and Mini EFIS products are really nice.

Plug a Bluetooth dongle into one of the USB ports and have the EFIS data streamed to an Android device running the GRT app. I just happen to have an empty spot on the panel over on the co-pilot side that just happens to be the right size for my Android phone. For about $20 I've got another EFIS display for the co-pilot!

I have a stratus II in the cockpit and it has made it very easy for the back seat guy to use an iPad and foreflight to get a very accurate EFFIS. It is of course, gps based and so the airspeed numbers have the usual limitations. However
you get the stratus weather and traffic on the foreflight map.
Also it is quite helpful for IFR when my guy in the back is also rated. Two minds, with info, work much better then one!
You do not have to use foreflight to get an effis as stratus has an app for that but you get none of the weather or other information.

In my RV-4, I have a Dynon D2 up front. I use an old iPhone 4 to accept the wifi AHRS data for the back seater. I use an app called ihud remote. It works very well. I got an iPhone 4 case with a nice belt clip to be able to take it in hold it securely. I have a nexus tablet that I was looking to use to replace the iPhone 4 but I can't find any apps that are like the ihud app and accept the ahrs data from an external source. I'll probably end up putting an iPad mini in the back and use either the ihud app or Wing X pro. It has a split screen that can view a sectional (or approach chart) on one side and then view the Derived attitude indicator on the other side.

X

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B75S03sk7sCyZ0FveDFPaFVZN1k

If I had the ipad mini in the back, the back seater would actually have a better setup that the front seater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9S9WeD7QCI

Last edited:
I have a friend with a Samsung tablet mounted in the panel of his Tri-Pacer. It's not as large as a mini iPad. I'll try to find out what app he uses. It looks good.

Bob

back seat guages

I mounted my Aera 510 to the back of the roll bar. You could do the same with your 396 it has a six pack page.

I use the IFly program on a Samsung Galaxy tab, 7 inch. Runs android, internal GPS, .tablet new is about $150. Yearly subscription for 3 devices is about $100. No, I do not work for them, but I love mine.
I think they will give a 30 day free trial on Google play. Give it a try.

Bob: thanks ... I would appreciate hearing what your friend uses and likes.

Dan: Yes, I considered mounting the 396 in back since it has a "5 pack", but I use it quite a bit myself up front for navigation.

Texan: I've heard of iFly, but not tried it out. It has an "instrument" display? I will try out the demo version.

My friend with the Tri-Pacer installed Samsung tablet is using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and running Garmin Pilot. He modified a protective case for the Tab and attached it to the panel. It fits neatly within the confines of the radio stack area in his panel.

Bob