tomkk

Well Known Member
I see a lot of folks using iPads for their EFB so I assume the iPad screen brightness is adequate in our bubble canopy environment. Is anyone successfully using an Android tablet for that and, if so, which one? I have an ASUS Android TF300 that I'd hoped to use but it's screen brightness is woefully inadequate and I'm looking for something else. I can go with an iPad if necessary but would prefer Android if possible.

The popular choice is the Nexus 7, which I find to be perfectly readable in direct sunlight.
Thanks. That's a little smaller than I would have thought useful. No problem reading charts or other things with that size?

I see a lot of folks using iPads for their EFB so I assume the iPad screen brightness is adequate in our bubble canopy environment. Is anyone successfully using an Android tablet for that and, if so, which one? I have an ASUS Android TF300 that I'd hoped to use but it's screen brightness is woefully inadequate and I'm looking for something else. I can go with an iPad if necessary but would prefer Android if possible.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and the brightness is perfect in direct sunlight. You have to turn it way down at night, but either way it adjusts well enough to any condition I've encountered so far.

The size of this tablet is pretty much perfect. I use Garmin Pilot for my charts and plates and the Tab Pro 8.4 is fast and responsive. The display is as good or better than the Apple Retina displays (I compared them side by side in the store).

Look for the fastest processor you can get for an Android. Both my tablet and my phone (LG G2) have a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, which at the times I bought them, was easily the fastest on the market. I recommend using GeekBench when comparing units. Lots of people post GeekBench stats on line so it's easy to compare units.

I have a first-generation Nexus 7 and it works great in the cockpit. It's a little laggy in the display when panning maps around, but I understand that the current-generation Nexus 7 is much faster and this isn't an issue.

I'd like a larger one, but only because I have room for it (side-by-side -6). The 7" screen is completely usable. Internal GPS locks in just fine with the tablet on my kneeboard.

I have a first gen Nexus 7 and have recently acquired a Nexus 6 cell phone. Both are running FltplanGo (love the free Canadian charts!).

The Nexus 7 I have mounted on an "Ottopilot" kneeboard mount which is absolutely fantastic in a tight cockpit. This mount isn't so hot when transitioning to a certificated aircraft with a yoke. The GPS in this device is extremely good. I've had no troubles with the Nexus 7 keeping up with my demands, but I've only been using it as a simple VFR charting device.

The Nexus 6 is a different beast. GPS is just as good as the Nexus 7, display is very sunlight-capable. Lots of processing power so it's very smooth in pan/zoom operations. And the real up-side is that it's small enough that my wife likes holding it in her hand where she can help with the navigation tasks. I didn't think the Nexus 6 would be very useful in the cockpit and would be relegated to backup duties. That original assessment is now proving to be incorrect.

Another vote for the Nexus 7. Mine's the 2013 model and I like it so well I bought a second one for a backup as I find it's more readable than the Seattle Avionics charts on my Dynon Skyview.

Here's a picture taken in direct sunlight -- so sunny that you can see the glare on my standby instruments.

SkyviewAndTablet.jpg

--
Joe

Nexus 9

HA! I was just about to start my own thread on this subject when I stumbled on this. I was using a mini ipad with my 72 year old eyes. Totally unacceptable. So my hangar mate showed me his Nexus 7.2, ( the more up to date 2013 model). It "was" definitely" better than the ipad. But than he said "Get a Nexus 9", it was brighter yet. So I just installed it, flew it last Saturday, and it is most definitely way better than an ipad and also better than the Nexus 7.

The caveat is if you've got a RV 8 or RV 4.:eek: The screen is 8.9" by 6 1/20 inches. I "did" put it in my 8, but I gave up on using a fancy Ram Mount. Took up too much knee room. Just veocroed it to the instrument panel.

HA! I was just about to start my own thread on this subject when I stumbled on this. I was using a mini ipad with my 72 year old eyes. Totally unacceptable. So my hangar mate showed me his Nexus 7.2, ( the more up to date 2013 model). It "was" definitely" better than the ipad. But than he said "Get a Nexus 9", it was brighter yet. So I just installed it, flew it last Saturday, and it is most definitely way better than an ipad and also better than the Nexus 7.

The caveat is if you've got a RV 8 or RV 4.:eek: The screen is 8.9" by 6 1/20 inches. I "did" put it in my 8, but I gave up on using a fancy Ram Mount. Took up too much knee room. Just veocroed it to the instrument panel.
I was wondering about the Nexus 9. Everyone was talking bout the Nexus 7 but nary a word about the 9. Good to know about the brightness. I'd be interested in what battery life you get.

"The" Nexus battery seems to go down pretty fast. Its plugged into the ship's electrical system via cigarette lighter. The other half of the cigarette lighter goes to a GDL 39. (Garmin Pilot)

Tablets (all tablets, not just Nexii) do need high powered USB ports that are configured to put out high power when a tablet is plugged in. Most cigarette lighter plugs, even those marked 2.1A or 3A, will not put out that much current when a tablet is plugged in. There are some great sites that explain why this is so, I don't have any handy but i'm sure a Google search will turn them up.

That being said, it's been my experience that the best you can hope for is to *maintain* the battery while flying, ie. the battery level not decreasing, or decreasing very slowly. With GPS and screen running, you'll never have enough power coming in to overcome the battery drain and charge it at the same time.

For a power supply backup I bought this:

Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro2 20000mAh 4-Port Aluminum Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank

The external battery is 4.4 x 6.6 x 0.6 inches ; 1.1 pounds - pretty small and light. It's nice to have the extra charging handy. It can charge my iPad while running ForeFlight. I get two full recharges off the Power Bank.

It can also charge cell phones many many times.

You can find them with greater amp-hours I believe.

One thing to consider is the cost of the external GPS antenna should you need one, and also it's battery life. I went with ForeFlight/Stratus because the Stratus 1 runs for 8 hours on a charge while the antenna for the Garmin app ran for only 4. The Garmin antenna was also much more expensive. I found no serious difference between the apps themselves (Pilot vs Foreflight) - I liked them both.

Tablets (all tablets, not just Nexii) do need high powered USB ports that are configured to put out high power when a tablet is plugged in. Most cigarette lighter plugs, even those marked 2.1A or 3A, will not put out that much current when a tablet is plugged in. There are some great sites that explain why this is so, I don't have any handy but i'm sure a Google search will turn them up.

That being said, it's been my experience that the best you can hope for is to *maintain* the battery while flying, ie. the battery level not decreasing, or decreasing very slowly. With GPS and screen running, you'll never have enough power coming in to overcome the battery drain and charge it at the same time.

Rob, When I had the ipad mini, no problem, the airplane would charge it up right up to 100%. But, regarding the Nexus 9, duly noted. ie, I just installed it last weekend, I will watch the battery on it, and see what happens. I'll post the results here.:)

Like a previous poster on this thread I use a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 paired with my GDL-39 and running Garmin Pilot, works good, very readable. Haven't had to use it on a long flight, but thinking about getting a power pack for that purpose.

To Snowflake & my Nexus 9

Hi Snowflake, Good news.:) I was out with my new Nexus 9 and the 2.4 Amp cigarette light we talked about. Yes, it does indeed charge.:p Its very very slow, but it it "does" charge. (The mini ipad I had charged a lot faster, but the blue colored words like "done, activate, save" were so dim, I had to memorize where to put my finger.) I suppose I could turn down the brightness on the Nexus and it would charge faster, but ,hey, its the "brightness" I bought it for. I'm a happy camper, but thanks for making me check the charging. I wouldn't want to be half way to Oshkosh and have it die on me.:eek:

Thanks again

Don, that's great news. I suspect the charger you have happens to configure itself in the right mode for the Nexus. When you're using it with the screen on and with high brightness, no charger would keep up with that in "trickle" charging mode. You'd definitely need one operating in "Rapid" or "high power" mode, and it sounds like you have one.

Note that even with rapid or high-power mode, you may still find that you sometimes only just maintain the battery level, or that it still slowly drops as you fly. Most tablets will still last long enough to complete a long flight. Just remember to plug your tablet in wherever you stop, and let it get it topped off as far as you can before starting out again. Even an hour's charging time while you stop for lunch is enough to get a lot of juice back in the cells.

I can't speak to the newer models, but my 1st gen Nexus 7 (bought used off ebay several years ago) will run Avare for at least 2-3 hours without ship's power. I bought the charging bits & pieces, but got lazy & never set it up.

FWIW,

Charlie