jjhoneck

Well Known Member
SteinAir shipped our new 10.5" GRT Horizon EFIS yesterday, and we are starting to get pretty excited!

One of the main reasons we chose GRT over Dynon is their ability to duplicate the EFIS on a tablet via Bluetooth. This will give us what amounts to a second EFIS in the back cockpit of our RV-8A.

It dawned on me today that I've never seen this arrangement, or even seen anyone discuss it. Can anyone comment on this set up? Anyone got photos?

For those who have it, how do you like it? What tablet are you using?

Thanks!

You need a bluetooth transmitter, ( $20, about the size of your thumb ). Easy to connect. I am using the Nexus 7

Peter

??

The GRT doesn't have a bluetooth transmitter? Where does it plug in?

There is a USB bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the USB port of the GRT. They have links for it on their website and they are widely available.

Here is the bluetooth unit that I am using, which seems to work great in testing on my bench:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GFX0PY/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Highly recommend the Nexus 7 tablet for the display:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVFLJDS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Word of warning, I tried the Asus Memopad HD 7 first, and it does NOT work with the GRT app. Near as I can tell Asus stripped down the Android OS for this tablet and some of the bits are missing that the GRT app uses.

I will be using a RAM mount for the Nexus 7, mounted off to the left side of the panel in a Glastar. I haven't installed it or the HX yet (too cold up here in Maine), so I don't have any pictures to share.

The GRT app on the tablet gives you a nice backup PFD, and also lets you enter and modify your flight plan information, which is the real reason I bought it. I obviously haven't flown with it, but I have everything wired and powered up on my bench, and it works great! I am excited to get it in the plane! :)

-Dj

Probably a dumb question...

I can see in the 4 and the 8 that it would be a fast, simple, and relatively inexpensive way to get an EFIS-like display for the GIB. Is there any other reason for this option? Is there any advantage to having this ability in a wide-body RV?

Hi Don,
My reason for buying it is that it gives a very easy way to input and manage flight plans, I think much easier than doing it through the EFIS itself. If using in this manner you don't really have to mount it, but could use it as a kneeboard.

It would also make for a cheap display to place in front of the co-pilot seat so they would not have to look across the panel to fly.

-Dj

Hi Don,
My reason for buying it is that it gives a very easy way to input and manage flight plans, I think much easier than doing it through the EFIS itself. If using in this manner you don't really have to mount it, but could use it as a kneeboard.

It would also make for a cheap display to place in front of the co-pilot seat so they would not have to look across the panel to fly.

-Dj

In our -8A, it will be really, really nice to be able to change the settings on the EFIS from the back cockpit.

My wife and I are both pilots, and flew side by side in certificated planes for over two decades. During that time, we developed CRM that we effortlessly used -- and that was completely blown away when we switched to the tandem seating in our RV-8A.

Suddenly, every flight was virtually solo, with the backseat pilot only able to feed radio frequencies and traffic info to the front seat pilot, by virtue of a backseat Nexus 7 running Garmin Pilot software.

Once the new Horizon is running, it will be great for the co-pilot to be able to set up flight plans, etc., again.

Would there be a real need for this capability in a side-by-side aircraft? I suppose it's possible for the Horizon screen to die, yet still leave the bluetoothed EFIS screen (on the tablet) running? Dunno...

As I understand it, they don't yet have the ability to show traffic and weather on the Nexus 7. True?

The current released version of the software only does the basic PFD and flight plans. I don't have any insight into their future goals for the software, but I agree that would be a nice feature. :)

-Dj

The current released version of the software only does the basic PFD and flight plans. I don't have any insight into their future goals for the software, but I agree that would be a nice feature. :)

-Dj

On of the nicest parts about the Nexus 7 (running Garmin Pilot, bluetoothed to a Garmin GDL-39 ADS-B receiver) in the backseat is that it gives the co-pilot the ability to play RIO with traffic.

This has only been marginally useful, without ADS-B out -- but I'm about to add that functionality.

I was hoping that the GRT would/could duplicate this functionality AND give us the second EFIS screen, but it looks like, for now, anyway, its an "either/or" choice.