Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Hi,
I installed my airbox yesterday and safetied the bolts into the carb with the tabbed washers Van's provides. The washers are square, and only one of the two tabs really lines up to press against the flat of the bolt head.

After getting the tab down as tight as I could (with a punch and small hammer), I tried to loosen the bolt and it slipped right past the tab. I could detect no resistance provided by the tab.

Am I missing something here?

I was thinking I'd just swap in drilled-head bolts, but those are a little hard to come by in the coarse thread pitch. Mcmaster has some, though at a lower strength (grade 5). The ones in the kit are grade 8 undrilled.

Paul

Paul Eastham said:
...I was thinking I'd just swap in drilled-head bolts, but those are a little hard to come by in the coarse thread pitch. Mcmaster has some, though at a lower strength (grade 5). The ones in the kit are grade 8 undrilled.

Paul
You can always just drill the heads yourself.

-mike

edit: PS aren't grade 8's usually fine pitch threads?

Last edited:
mlw450802 said:
You can always just drill the heads yourself.

-mike

On a drill press, I presume...will that give good results, even if your drill press has a tiny bit of run-out like mine? I suppose you would use a drill press vice to secure the bolt?

I'd like some of these drilled head bolts ..

But I haven't run across any yet either. I lock-tited mine and used the tabs and have not had any problem in 400+hrs but would prefer the safety wire. I pull the air cleaner at least evey 100 hours to keep an eye on this area but not problems so far. If anybody buys some of these bolts get 4 extra for me!
Walt
7A

Drill the heads on some coarse thread Grade 5's. No reason to use a Grade 8 on an airbox.

Dan

Just finished up the Superior Build School two weeks ago, and there were several places inside the accessory case we used loctite and tabbed washers.