RV8R999

Well Known Member
In the RV-6 I recently flew the T/W bell-crank was fairly loose both vertically and axially.

My -8 (never flown) also has just a bit of free-play but not nearly as much and none vertically.

What is the standard you folks live with?

Thanks!

Ken

Assuming T/W is the abbreviation for tailwheel, then the control arm shouldn't be overly sloppy.

We have replacement parts for Van's and similar tailwheels, i.e. ours or Doug Bell's tailwheels, including spacer shims to correct vertical slop.

If the control arm is worn it will have slop in the left/right directions. We have replacement control arms too.

You can see our maintenance tip sheet at: http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=383

Hope this helps.

Hey Vince, are you going to be at Oshkosh,and might you have a few of those vertical shims in your pocket while you are there? I'd love to buy a couple - have always noticed a little vertical play in Louise's RV-6 tail wheel, and would like to get rid of it.

Paul

I've never used mine yet still have just a slight amount of vertical play. I'm going to try to tighten the nut a bit to see if this solves the problem. Thanks!

Paul,

No, we're not doing a booth at Oshkosh this year. We were very pleased overall last year, but the new fly market area leaves a lot to be desired. Not intending to bash the EAA, they do a great job, but the vending spaces are not exactly user friendly or cheap.

I'll list the spacers on the web store for those who need them.

Ken, that top nut should be tightened completely. If it's not, or if it binds the mechanism when it is, then something is amiss. I posted our tech sheet here:http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=383 It should have enough info to clarify or confuse...

Also, there MUST be some vertical play or everything will be in a bind and you'll have a tailskid instead of a tailwheel! Ack! Expect 0.015" or so of vertical play, but the tailwheel will actually tolerate much more... but not much less! You don't want a single grain of sand binding everything up. OTOH, you don't want things so loose that steering is affected. Clear as mud, eh?

Last edited: