diamond

Well Known Member
I know the plans call for proseal on the trim tab foam ribs, but I don't have any proseal. I wasn't planning on buying it until I build the fuel tanks. I do have T-88 though and am wondering if it will work well to bond the foam ribs to the trim tab.

Tank sealant was chosen for two reasons -

To take advantage of its slightly flexible property's to account for skin drumming / vibration, and different expansion/contraction of the different materials.
I am sure other adhesives could work (there are many instances of aluminum being adhesive bonded on aircraft), but I am not personally aware of anyone using something else, and what the result was in long term service.
The very first Van's prototype to use the process was the prototype RV-9A. It is now has 2500 + flight hrs and 15+ years in service with no problems.

But, they are experimental aircraft. You can choose to use what ever process you want.

T-88's good but without very careful and formal prep, I wouldn't count on it sticking to aluminum for the long term.

Get the small size of tank sealant, transfer it to some usable containers, and us that.

Dave

Proseal...

I have one of those 1 oz proseal touch up packages. It is way out of date, but I'll send it to you if you want it.

Just PM a shipping address.

CC

I haven't looked at the series of tasks in a RV 9 wing build, but is there any reason why the fuel tanks can't be the first item of business? That way I could order the quart size proseal now and not have to worry about it expiring before I get to the fuel tanks.