Tram

Well Known Member
I think it's pretty obvious our pump went belly up on us yesterday. Our vacuum powered instruments went out.

We noticed a tapping/slapping noise once we got on the ground, which lead me to believe something had come off. I pulled the cowl today to see if the lines had come off the pump, as the plane just came out of annual. Looks like everything is intact.

Is there typically any noise associated with a dying/dead vac pump?

Is the plane flyable sans the instruments if the pump is dead? Will running it dead hurt anything else, is a better question.

We are about to go with an EFIS and this may have been the perfect sign that it is time. LOL.

Just wondering if we can run the engine without killing anything, with a failed pump.

No noise

When the pump fails it shears off the little plastic pins in the coupler and there should be no noise that I am aware of, and yes it is safe to run the engine with a failed pump. Lots of us IFR types have done it unintentionally while in the clouds and the engine failing was not our greatest fear.

Gary Specketer

I think it's pretty obvious our pump went belly up on us yesterday. Our vacuum powered instruments went out.

We noticed a tapping/slapping noise once we got on the ground, which lead me to believe something had come off. I pulled the cowl today to see if the lines had come off the pump, as the plane just came out of annual. Looks like everything is intact.

Is there typically any noise associated with a dying/dead vac pump?

Is the plane flyable sans the instruments if the pump is dead? Will running it dead hurt anything else, is a better question.

We are about to go with an EFIS and this may have been the perfect sign that it is time. LOL.

Just wondering if we can run the engine without killing anything, with a failed pump.

A typical dry vacuum pump has a cylindrical rotor mounted in an oval cross-section housing. Radial slots in the rotor hold brittle carbon vanes that move in and out to follow the surface of the housing as the rotor turns. The vanes can break off or come out of the slots if highly worn. That could be the rattling you're hearing.

Metal Drive

Installed an EFIS and removed Vacuum pump, the plastic gear drive from the mount, and the metal drive behind the plastic. threw oil everywhere. Replaced the metal drive and stopped throwing oil. Breather tube was in a direct line of sloshing oil without the metal drive. hope this was the correct course of action. Our local A&P said he learned something. Hmmm. IO-360-X

The small end of the plastic adapter can be made into a great thumb screwdriver for removing those hard to reach screws on the cowl.

Last edited:
Yep.. She doesn't suck. I guess I shoulda just titled it "can I still run my engine with a dead vacuum pump without damaging anything?" :)

Looks like a D180 will be on the way. :)

Yep.. She doesn't suck. I guess I shoulda just titled it "can I still run my engine with a dead vacuum pump without damaging anything?" :)

Looks like a D180 will be on the way. :)

Good man! you'll be real happy with that. Just be sure to preface any purchase for the plane with, "Honey, it is really money well spent as it greatly increases the safety of our aircraft... heaven knows I do all of this for you and want to make it my highest priority to be sure that you are as safe as possible when you are flying with me. It brings me no pleasure to spend our hard earned money this way... it's just... well... if anything happen to you.... sniff... sniff.... waaaaaaahhhhh!... i wouldn't be able to live with myself!"

Then you write the check for an upgraded IFR GPS and other goodies...

Just trying to help a brother out.

Jeff

Good man! you'll be real happy with that. Just be sure to preface any purchase for the plane with, "Honey, it is really money well spent as it greatly increases the safety of our aircraft... heaven knows I do all of this for you and want to make it my highest priority to be sure that you are as safe as possible when you are flying with me. It brings me no pleasure to spend our hard earned money this way... it's just... well... if anything happen to you.... sniff... sniff.... waaaaaaahhhhh!... i wouldn't be able to live with myself!"

Then you write the check for an upgraded IFR GPS and other goodies...

Just trying to help a brother out.

Jeff

My dad and I are partners on the -6 and luckily both my mom and wife are very understanding women. :)

My dad and I are partners on the -6 and luckily both my mom and wife are very understanding women. :)

You are a lucky man. My wife is a saint and I try to remind myself of that everyday.

The D180 is a nice unit. It might take a little while to not hunt for the suction gauge in your scan though ... a good thing.

You are a lucky man. My wife is a saint and I try to remind myself of that everyday.

The D180 is a nice unit. It might take a little while to not hunt for the suction gauge in your scan though ... a good thing.

We've got all glass at work.. ;)