rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I made the decision today to finish my 9A as a 9. I haven't ordered the finish kit yet so that is a good thing. I am going to back through all the prints and instructions and try to make sure I get all the little things done the correct way for a tail dragger. I am 75 percent through the fuselage kit but still have access to the rear area to install the tail wheel. I haven't installed the gear leg mounts but will have to plug the leg holes in the bottom skin. If anyone else has switched mid stream and has any advice on what to watch out for I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Switching up

Hi Jim,

I started out building a taildragger so there's nothing I can say that will help you with the change except, and this is only what I've heard......

If you have already cut, shaped and mounted the fiberglass on the bottom of the rudder, there may be some problems with interference because it sits down too far. I will have to wait until the tail whell is mounted before I can fianl fit the fiberglass. This may not be a problem for you but it's something to look out for.

9A to 9

Jim,

I just finished converting my 7A (same Fuselage) to a 7 after flying it for 3 years. Installing the tail wheel mount should be your only concern at this point other than brake lines if you have started on the plumbing. The brake lines will now exit through the firewall. Good luck with your build you'll not regret making the change.

I'm still working on the seat pans and baggage area floor pans so no fuel or brake lines have been run yet. I new there was a reason I kept putting off riveting the top plate at the rear of the fuselage, now I know why. I must have been subconsciously thinking about adding a tail wheel. It sounds like I will have some work to do to the rudder bottom fiberglass cover since it in already installed. I trying to fit the steps right now and they don't fit worth a flip. I'm going to have to open up the 1-1/2 inch hole in the side skin to about 1-3/4 inch to clear the weld on the backside of the steel plate on the step. Then I guess I'll beat it into submission with a dead blow hammer until it conforms to the side of the fuselage. It ain't even close. I starting to get excited about finishing the plane again now that I've made the decision to go with a tail wheel. I spent the whole weekend deburring, priming, and painting a bunch of interior parts like the seat backs and floor covers.
Thanks for the tips and advice

Steps

Steve is right you don't need the steps on a taildragge, however mine were there since it was a 7A previously and they are nice if you have older people or vertically challenged people climing in to your airplane. If you already cut the holes I would go ahead and put them in.

Talk to Bill Repucci about steps on the -9. The -9 sits up significantly higher than the -7 since it has longer legs. Bill recently indicated that, in retrospect, he might have added them. After putting my plane on its gear, I would tentatively agree.

Rudder fiberglass cap

Rudder lower fiberglass is no big deal but does require modification, there are a couple of threads on here and some pics on my blog and others. When you get to the brakes you may also want to consider the threads on flex hoses from Bonaco etc for interior and external brake lines. I made the same switch but before I started the fuselage.

Talk to Bill Repucci about steps on the -9. The -9 sits up significantly higher than the -7 since it has longer legs. Bill recently indicated that, in retrospect, he might have added them. After putting my plane on its gear, I would tentatively agree.
Steve, is correct on all counts.

The -9 does stand taller than all the other RV's. As I get older, I might go back and install them at some point. This is not a big deal, as it sounds like you already have the holes cut for the steps, so just go ahead and put them in.

The rudder bottom mod is easy enough to do. Check the rudder page of my web site for details.

As for the brake lines, I did run SS lines from the firewall to the brake caliper but used hard lines most everywhere else.

BTW, this change will also free up space on the forward side of the spar as you won't have brake lines running in that area.

Probably the biggest issue you will have is installing the tail spring mount. That goes between the last two bulkheads and is kind of a pain to fit. As soon as the part (WD-409) arrives, send it out for powder coating. Because it sticks out of the bottom skin, Van's does not coat it with anything.

Since you have to remove the F-779, Tail Bottom Skin, you might want to up-size the rivets to #30's. That way you won't have to worry so much about enlarging the holes when you drill it out.

PS. Welcome to the Dark Side! The -9 really is an easy tail dragger to fly! The only problem is that in less than a year since my first flight I have put over 155 hours on it. :D

I was planning to use the SS braided brake lines anyway. With the aft flat cover not being installed I was assuming I could install the tailwheel with removing the bottom aft skin. That is one of the worst little buggers to install and I really don't relish the thought of having to do it twice. I will look over your builders logs tonight and learn from them.
I'll keep you posted on the progress, and thanks so much. Anyone else have any bits of wisdom, I'm all ears.

I have another question about the change. I already have the main gear legs that came with the fuselage kit since it was ordered as a nose wheel setup. Are the legs for the tail dragger the same or will I have to buy new main gear legs? One other thing, A friend that bought a couple of salvage RV-6's has a perfectly good tail wheel setup I can get from him. Have there been changes made to the tail wheel that would cause me to be better off buying a new one from Vans?

Thanks

I believe the main gear legs are different. Check the drawings, they should have the part numbers listed for the two different gear legs.

Think about the angle at which they exit the engine mount and the direction the wheels have to face.

Regarding the tail wheel, Van's did change the spring at some point. Again, check the drawing and compare it. When looking at the drawings, note the part number for the bracket. The first number indicates which plane it was designed for. Then check the RV-6 drawings, if the numbers match, you are good to go.

The new TW brack comes pre-drilled for the spring, so the tailwheel will line right up. I believe some of the early -6's had to be drilled by the builder, so take care when you drill this bracket to your -9.

I have another question about the change. I already have the main gear legs that came with the fuselage kit since it was ordered as a nose wheel setup. Are the legs for the tail dragger the same or will I have to buy new main gear legs? One other thing, A friend that bought a couple of salvage RV-6's has a perfectly good tail wheel setup I can get from him. Have there been changes made to the tail wheel that would cause me to be better off buying a new one from Vans?

Thanks

Main gear are different but I believe the tail wheel is just a 4 part.

You will need to remove the top rear along with the last bulkhead. All in all a very easy change over.

While you're at it order a Bell tail wheel.

Cam

Nose dragger conversion

Welcome to the group. I am building a 9TD also.
Should be flying early next year.
Ken9